Better to marry in Cambodia or k1 visa ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Better to marry in Cambodia or k1 visa ?

Post by rubberbaron »

I did it like this but it was almost 20 years ago. I got my then girl-friend a tourist visa, then we went and got married in Florida (very easy - no paper work required, just passports, $125 or so) and never had a problem with the recognition of the marriage license outside Cambodia. Though not a U. S. national but permanent resident I couldn't get a fiancee visa as the consul suggested. I was a business owner so no financial problems. Trying to get it recognized here though was a pain in the neck and expensive - about $5,000 so I forgot about that. Came back here after 15 years for retirement so this is the easier route in my mind.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

rubberbaron wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 pm I did it like this but it was almost 20 years ago. I got my then girl-friend a tourist visa, then we went and got married in Florida (very easy - no paper work required, just passports, $125 or so) and never had a problem with the recognition of the marriage license outside Cambodia. Though not a U. S. national but permanent resident I couldn't get a fiancee visa as the consul suggested. I was a business owner so no financial problems. Trying to get it recognized here though was a pain in the neck and expensive - about $5,000 so I forgot about that. Came back here after 15 years for retirement so this is the easier route in my mind.
Cobgratulations on staying married 15 years. Proof it works sonetimes. Plesse dobt repky saying you got divorced before u retired. Will ruin my day
whereami
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by whereami »

rubberbaron wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 pm I did it like this but it was almost 20 years ago. I got my then girl-friend a tourist visa, then we went and got married in Florida (very easy - no paper work required, just passports, $125 or so) and never had a problem with the recognition of the marriage license outside Cambodia. Though not a U. S. national but permanent resident I couldn't get a fiancee visa as the consul suggested. I was a business owner so no financial problems. Trying to get it recognized here though was a pain in the neck and expensive - about $5,000 so I forgot about that. Came back here after 15 years for retirement so this is the easier route in my mind.
Congrats and enjoy retirement ! Ya quite a process overall
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:20 pm
Cobgratulations on staying married 15 years. Proof it works sonetimes. Plesse dobt repky saying you got divorced before u retired. Will ruin my day

I've been divorced for 15 years. That's proof that it also works. I hope to get a ''congratulations '' from you also.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Duncan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 am
pczz wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:20 pm

I've been divorced for 15 years. That's proof that it also works. I hope to get a ''congratulations '' from you also.
Only if you canprove you kept all the money. I have been dicorced 29 years and I congratulate myself every day :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic