Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

"Uber is preparing to sell its Southeast Asia business to Singapore's Grab in exchange for a sizable stake in the company, according to two sources with knowledge of the matter.

No deal has been reached yet, and the timing of any such deal is uncertain."
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/16/uber-pr ... -grab.html
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Uber selling Southeast Asia unit to Grab

Post by cautious colin »

Khmer_Risotto wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:04 am
"Uber is preparing to sell its Southeast Asia business to Singapore's Grab in exchange for a sizable stake in the company, according to two sources with knowledge of the matter.

No deal has been reached yet, and the timing of any such deal is uncertain."
Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/16/uber-pr ... -grab.html
Would be a shame for Grab to get a monopoly on the market. Not only would the price increase because of it, i feel their app is under par compared to Uber.

Lucky in Cambodia that we have so much choice on ride hailing apps, Do other SEA countries have so much choice (other than the big 2)?
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Singapore has Uber and Grab.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 am Singapore has Uber and Grab.
I was more asking if any other country has the smaller, home made apps like Passapp, iTsumo, Exnet etc. That is the benefit in Cambodia that is limiting the price hikes by Uber & Grab that will inevitably happen. if it goes from 2 to 1 and the only other competition are the taxis the prices are bound to rise (say in HCM, Manila, Singapore)
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

cautious colin wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 am
bangkokhooker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:16 am Singapore has Uber and Grab.
I was more asking if any other country has the smaller, home made apps like Passapp, iTsumo, Exnet etc. That is the benefit in Cambodia that is limiting the price hikes by Uber & Grab that will inevitably happen. if it goes from 2 to 1 and the only other competition are the taxis the prices are bound to rise (say in HCM, Manila, Singapore)
The Cambodian market is too small. I think Uber planned to sell it from the start.
Steivan
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Steivan »

„Lucky in Cambodia that we have so much choice on ride hailing apps, Do other SEA countries have so much choice (other than the big 2)?“

I used to use 911Go, but now all the small Tuk Tuks seem to be PassApp. Friendly takeover?
No problem as they don’t raise the price.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Steivan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 pm „Lucky in Cambodia that we have so much choice on ride hailing apps, Do other SEA countries have so much choice (other than the big 2)?“

I used to use 911Go, but now all the small Tuk Tuks seem to be PassApp. Friendly takeover?
No problem as they don’t raise the price.
I am not too sure. I know a lot of the companies here use the same software (911go/passapp/exnet/ugo711) but they always used to have different prices/drivers

ITsumo the only one I know that has different underlying software
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

I took an Uber last night. Still working fine. Near royal palace to BKK1 in a Lexus for $2.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

dron wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:42 am I took an Uber last night. Still working fine. Near royal palace to BKK1 in a Lexus for $2.
Grab has 80% off at the moment (GRAB80). Should probably give that one a go
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Cool. I will check it out. I had a bad feeling about Grab after using it in Thailand. They sent regular taxis who couldn't seem to read a map. I will give it a try here.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic