The History Channel

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: The History Channel

Post by Sailorman »

I am very disappointed in the new History Channel "special" on the World Wars. Being a military buff and WWI/WWII weapons collector it looks like they had no idea or cared about authenticity. Some of the film clips are just thrown in and have no relationship to the story line, the firearms are wrong, the uniforms are wrong. (I mean really, German WWI troops shooting English #1 mark 3 Enfield rifles and not Mausers, and when they do show WWI Germans shooting Mausers its the K98 WWII rifle and not the WWI 96.

With a little research they could have done a world class presentation, but chose instead to dumb it down. On the other hand, the choice is some of the really stupid reality shows. Bering Sea gold is just an embarrassment to Alaskans and anyone who has lived in Nome, Alaska. I do watch it once in a while to see if they pan back to the town and I can see where I used to live.
Cunning Stunt
Tourist

Post by Cunning Stunt »

I've been to the 'pawn shop' from Pawn Stars. It's full of tourist trinkits, refrigerator magnets, and tee-shirts. None of the guys from the show were there. They only come in on special taping days and the store is closed those days.

As for duck dynasty. Check the before and after pictures on those yuppies.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Has the History Chanel ever had proper documentaries? Seems to me PBS and the likes are the only good options if you want quality documentaries which are well-researched and not too much in the "entertainment" side of things.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I watched a few PBS documentaries, I was really impressed. Were my connection is fast, I would of stream or Youtube. I like watching TV and read during my leisure time at home, and the available channels from my cable provider in term of documentaries are either Discovery or History and Nat Geo.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Has the History Chanel ever had proper documentaries? Seems to me PBS and the likes are the only good options if you want quality documentaries which are well-researched and not too much in the "entertainment" side of things.
When the History channel started, they may as well have called it the Hitler Channel. It was WW2 stuff almost non-stop. I don't know if they produced those documentaries themselves or just acquired the rebroadcast rights from other outlets. Either way, it seems someone there figured out that producing some new cheap, content was more of a long term money maker. No other content creators to pay royalties to. Probably the same reason Animal Planet makes stupid new shows about Finding Bigfoot and My Naughty Kitten or whatever. Discovery channel is crap now too. If it wasn't for the variety of 24 hour news channels and occasionally HBO, I wouldn't bother with cable TV at all anymore.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I watched H2 (History two) in Singapore and liked it much better than the regular History channel. For authenticity "Saving Private Ryan." I had a hard time finding anything wrong with the weapons, uniforms, tactics.

Name the worst war movie you have ever watched. Mine is "Battle Cry," followed by "Full Metal Jacket", "Pearl Harbor" and "Inchon." I will say that R. Lee Ermey as the Gunny DI almost made FMJ watchable, but the Vietnam parts (filmed in England, they had to fly in palm trees) sucked!

Best war movie that no one has watched: "Siege of Firebase Gloria." R. Lee Ermey early movie.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I wanted H2 badly but my cable provider doesnt have it :(

Full Metal Jacket is one of my favorite movies of all time by the way.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Sailorman wrote:I watched H2 (History two) in Singapore and liked it much better than the regular History channel. For authenticity "Saving Private Ryan." I had a hard time finding anything wrong with the weapons, uniforms, tactics.

Name the worst war movie you have ever watched. Mine is "Battle Cry," followed by "Full Metal Jacket", "Pearl Harbor" and "Inchon." I will say that R. Lee Ermey as the Gunny DI almost made FMJ watchable, but the Vietnam parts (filmed in England, they had to fly in palm trees) sucked!

Best war movie that no one has watched: "Siege of Firebase Gloria." R. Lee Ermey early movie.

In Saving Private Ryan's landing scene the bullets travelling through the water is bogus. Agree with you on FMJ and Pearl Harbour, not seen the others.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic