Which Phnom Penh neighborhood for renting room for khmer friends?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Which PP neighborhood for renting room for khmer friends?

Post by that genius »

Doh.

To the houses they sell in front of, or to cops.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Which PP neighborhood for renting room for khmer friendss

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

superferret wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks a lot you guys, great advice. I'm going to check out this area around Chroy Changvar first it seems closer to the city.
They haven't figured out what they're going to sell yet, the guy can do motorbike repair. What's the nearest market in the Chroy Changvar area?
If you leave from under chroy changvar bridge, direction Pursat, on NR5 , go straight. First & 2nd traffic lights left, that’s the materials and DIY market, whatever, tools, bolts, rubber sheet, etc... you name it. Also fresh food market neerby, Psar Touch
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

The house owner. One house I looked at in street 19, the vendor outside was paying $100 a month for the right to sell food on the pavement in front of the house. Sometimes they hook into the house electric and use the water as well. they also have to pay the local authorities. if you do not pay the owner they can complain you are blocking the pavement or access and have you moved on. In many places the owner of the house is responsible for maintaining the pavement outside the property apparently .I have no idea how legal this practice is but it happens. There was an incident about 2 years ago where the owner of a local mall put boollards and chains up and told tuk tuks they had to pay a monthly fee to park on the road outside the mall. In that case the tuks went to the police and they turned up in force and removed the bollards, which was a fun spectacle. In the west you have to rent your pitch and pay for a license to the local authorities so it doesn't really surprise me
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

OP, best thing you can do is go to Toul Sangke and Psar Touch, which is nearby, and ask local motodops, there's plenty of houses/rooms for rent... I have passed there yesterday. Good luck!
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Thanks again guys, we tried Toul Sangkae and they didn't really like the neighborhood,
anyone know around Psar Depo or the surroundings? It's close and seems like a pretty nice area but still haven't found any cheap houses there
I'm hoping to find some area which has cheaper houses around there.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

superferret wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:31 am Thanks again guys, we tried Toul Sangkae and they didn't really like the neighborhood,
anyone know around Psar Depo or the surroundings? It's close and seems like a pretty nice area but still haven't found any cheap houses there

Very late reply, but i used to rent a first fl house there for 150$ a month, with two bedrooms of which one i rented out for 80$ a month about two years ago. You can find cheap accommodation in this marked area, but i never really liked it there very much...

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

superferret wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:31 am Thanks again guys, we tried Toul Sangkae and they didn't really like the neighborhood,
Its got a bit of a dodgy reputation around there Around orussey would probably be better, but cheap and reasonable and Khmer north of Japanese bridge. Anywhere on left after the first set of lights
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Re: Which Phnom Penh neighborhood for renting room for khmer friends?

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

everyone says that Doeurm Kor Market is a worthwhile market, anyone got any recommendations for barang stay places around there? not looking for luxury just basic accomodation
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Thanks Borum,
150 is over our budget though. I think that area we would not find anything for 100.
We're looking at Stung Mean Chey, is that a really bad area?
Also Chaom Chau which is South of the airport is a place they mentioned.
The problem is they insist on ground floor which we did not see at all around Toul Sangke.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic