Do I have to leave Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do I have to leave Cambodia?

Post by dron »

Thanks for the comments and advice.

I asked Lucky Lucky about a retirement visa. They literally laughed in my face. Guess they've never read "Retire by 40". I don't have "proof of retirement from home country" either.

It seems like the sole prop would be the way to go. As there is often more than meets the eye in actually doing things in Cambodia I want to make sure I know what I am getting into. Preferably, I would like to find an agent to do as much as possible. I'm lazy, that's why I live in Cambodia and earn passive income on the internet.

All I have to do is register as a sole prop? Don't need a tax license? Don't need to rent an office or shop?

Then I apply for the work permit online?

Then write myself a letter and I'm good to get another visa in September?

Thanks again.

BTW, "drop shipping fidget spinners" isn't too far off actually. Everything legitimate, declared and taxed (in the US). Basically just online retail and affiliate stuff earning passive income.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

dron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:15 pm Thanks for the comments and advice.

I asked Lucky Lucky about a retirement visa. They literally laughed in my face. Guess they've never read "Retire by 40". I don't have "proof of retirement from home country" either.

It seems like the sole prop would be the way to go. As there is often more than meets the eye in actually doing things in Cambodia I want to make sure I know what I am getting into. Preferably, I would like to find an agent to do as much as possible. I'm lazy, that's why I live in Cambodia and earn passive income on the internet.

All I have to do is register as a sole prop? Don't need a tax license? Don't need to rent an office or shop?

Then I apply for the work permit online?

Then write myself a letter and I'm good to get another visa in September?

Thanks again.
Talk to a good lawyer familiar with business registrations and foreign workers, get the right info, register correctly, and minimise future problems. eg. If you've got a registered business in the US, you could open a 'representative' office here, which is far simpler and has zero tax obligations here.

If you learn something useful, let us know.

BTW, "drop shipping fidget spinners" isn't too far off actually. Everything legitimate, declared and taxed (in the US). Basically just online retail and affiliate stuff earning passive income.
Ha! I knew it!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

u must be a hell of an affiliate to earn $7,000/month

"Basically just online retail and affiliate stuff earning passive income."
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Not really. A lot of people do much better in the same field. I don't put much effort in. I probably worked 80 hours in all of 2017. But I wasn't trying to brag about money. I know it can be very difficult to get. I was just making the point that I can afford to live in Cambodia and pay for any reasonable fees to stay. My other options are:

- Vietnam. Already have 1 year visa. No work permit required. Think I paid $135.

- Chiang Mai. Can get 1 year education visa without going to school or doing 90 day checks, but it's $1000.

I'd probably save a lot of money either way. All apartments I've looked at in both places are cheaper than my place here. But I already live here, have a girlfriend, etc.

Any suggestions on good attorneys to talk to about getting a legal business set up?
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

dron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 pm
- Vietnam. Already have 1 year visa. No work permit required. Think I paid $135.
$135 for Vietnam is the stamping fee, visa cost on top, 200-250/year. Why not stay there?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm
dron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 pm
$135 for Vietnam is the stamping fee, visa cost on top, 200-250/year. Why not stay there?
Off topic, but Americans can get a one year multi entry tourist visa on arrival at the airport for $135. No questions asked. All you need is an invitation letter that you can buy online for $20 and two photographs.

The business visa is indeed the higher price as you mentioned.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

violet wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm
Barang chgout wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:48 pm Sole trader around $160 and theoretically can be done online or can be done at sankat or ministry of commerce i believe.
Under $5000 / month turnover, taxed only on profi, from what i can work out.
Guess there are a few of us who are looking into this.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
While I don’t recall the exact figures, I know the true cost of setting up as sole is higher than $160.
2 years ago in kampot I was asked for $70 at the 1 stop shop and $100 to register for tax. You also need a lease stamped by sangkat anything up to $30 is usual. Unless you are actually running a shop or restaurant that should be it. Otherwise you have various oter stuff like sign tax and tourism permits etc but doubt you will be needing that as a sole trader "IT consultant" o
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

pczz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:35 pm 2 years ago in kampot I was asked for $70 at the 1 stop shop and $100 to register for tax. You also need a lease stamped by sangkat anything up to $30 is usual. Unless you are actually running a shop or restaurant that should be it. Otherwise you have various oter stuff like sign tax and tourism permits etc but doubt you will be needing that as a sole trader "IT consultant" o
Sounds perfect. Can you then write a letter of employment for yourself that will be accepted? How about taxes? Thanks again.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

dron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:49 pm
pczz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:35 pm 2 years ago in kampot I was asked for $70 at the 1 stop shop and $100 to register for tax. You also need a lease stamped by sangkat anything up to $30 is usual. Unless you are actually running a shop or restaurant that should be it. Otherwise you have various oter stuff like sign tax and tourism permits etc but doubt you will be needing that as a sole trader "IT consultant" o
Sounds perfect. Can you then write a letter of employment for yourself that will be accepted? How about taxes? Thanks again.
You may just need to take the business registration form from the sangkhat. It is possible they will get the work permit for you, or the one stop shop might do it. 2 years is a long time and they keep changing the rules.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I am into two years with all the correct business paperwork, tax, wp and visa. Now I think I will retire :)
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic