Re-reading Amit Gilboa's "Off the Rails in Phnom Penh"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

When "Off the Rails in Phnom Penh" was first published, in 1998, it was passed from hand as eagerly as a samizdat text in the old U.S.S.R.

It was quite a hit among both expatriates and temporary visitors, and - because of, or in spite of, this - much energy and vitriol was flung at the author.

There were mild reviews, but those with access to paper archives could come up with very angry reviews.

Does anyone here have opinions about the text,which is now - of course - a period piece?
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Here are a few reviews, some quite ancient:

https://www.amazon.com/Off-Rails-Phnom- ... geNumber=2
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Re-reading Amit Gilboa's "Off the Rails in Phnom Penh"

Post by Username Taken »

A pretty accurate reflection of Phnom Penh at the time.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i agree;
when i first visited PP in 94 all that was in the book was happening and if anything, more lawless and rougher especially at night and Russian market you could buy just about anything
although i didn't know any teachers, so cant say what they spoke of K11 as he described
it was what he described
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Some truth, some fiction, some in-between, from the POV of a gutter dwelling rat.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

worth reading today for an idea of what was happening decades ago while the country was in dire poverty and military conflict still winding down.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:08 pm worth reading today for an idea of what was happening decades ago while the country was in dire poverty and military conflict still winding down.
yeah had the book for years but never read it, trying to make a new effort of starting it the other day, i love reading its just finding the time
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I remember that in mid to late 1996 a van would stop outside the Capital restaurant and the driver would yell out "K11" to the foreigner inside the resto. the van was never empty.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the first part of it is a little heavy going as he sets the stage with the politics and fighting prior to his arrival.
that is actually the best part as it gives a concise view of the factions, and how control was established after the defeat of KR.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Would have loved to have been in Cambodia in the 90's, its why i want to read the book for more of an insight, heard lots of stories and stuff
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic