German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bernhardow
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Post by Bernhardow »

Not many Germans called Wellington ... dont tell me it is Harry.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Post by soup »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 am one would think that these western embassies would be more proactive
Embassies are rather indifferent to us when we're alive. Why start caring when we die?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

One factor could be the climate.

Euros and most westerners are not sued to the heat/humidity combination.

Add age, stress from new environment/cultural differences, health issues, alcohol, medication and going out more often than back at home...recipe for prahok.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

that genius wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 am One factor could be the climate.

Euros and most westerners are not sued to the heat/humidity combination.

Add age, stress from new environment/cultural differences, health issues, alcohol, medication and going out more often than back at home...recipe for prahok.
Yes and no. Heat reduces blood pressure by opening veins and arteries, diet and more exercise due to good weather affects diabetes, humidity helps with some lung disorders.
After 18 months here on no meds my doc was amazed when I got home and my BP was normal and so was my blood sugar. Within 6 months I was on medication again.
There is a caveat though. recently doctors warned that cutting out you blood pressure medication entirely can be dangerous because it can spike at night in hot climates, and over doing it in the heat can also stress the heart as much as in the cold so.... Tons on google about it
https://www.livestrong.com/article/2268 ... -pressure/
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

Bernhardow wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 am Not many Germans called Wellington ... dont tell me it is Harry.
Nor Harold, it would be more like Harald.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

It seems I am the only one here who happened to know him personally. All this speculation on boards about people who died is really absurd, at least most of the time. Nobody knew him, but off you go. Why do people always have the urge to put their worthless 2 cents in.
Harald lived way out in the boondocks, so to speak, was building a small resort on an isolated stretch of beach, and right on the beach too, about 25km from SHV. He invested quite a bit of money in this place, but wasn't finished yet. As the picture shows he was quite a heavy guy and did have health problems. He was in early retirement. It could have been a stroke or a heart attack; at least it was a peaceful death in his sleep. He was a nice guy, so RIP.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 am one would think that these western embassies would be more proactive

Why? They're too busy not answering the phone or responding to email... and closing at noon to go off and socialize with champagne & caviar at other embassies.
You could be next.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

rubberbaron wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:46 am It seems I am the only one here who happened to know him personally. All this speculation on boards about people who died is really absurd, at least most of the time. Nobody knew him, but off you go. Why do people always have the urge to put their worthless 2 cents in.
Harald lived way out in the boondocks, so to speak, was building a small resort on an isolated stretch of beach, and right on the beach too, about 25km from SHV. He invested quite a bit of money in this place, but wasn't finished yet. As the picture shows he was quite a heavy guy and did have health problems. He was in early retirement. It could have been a stroke or a heart attack; at least it was a peaceful death in his sleep. He was a nice guy, so RIP.
I don't really care about the cause of death. Never do. Since you are the only one on here in the know, not a worthless 2 cents kind of guy like the rest of us, what nationality/nationalities did Herold/Harald Gummistiefel hold?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic