German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
Bernhardow
Tourist
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 1:07 am
Reputation: 5
Location: Munich
Cambodia

Re: German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Post by Bernhardow » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 am

Not many Germans called Wellington ... dont tell me it is Harry.
User avatar
soup
Expatriate
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:56 am
Reputation: 53
Andorra

Re: German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Post by soup » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:31 am

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 am
one would think that these western embassies would be more proactive
Embassies are rather indifferent to us when we're alive. Why start caring when we die?
User avatar
that genius
Expatriate
Posts: 4065
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 am
Reputation: 960
Sweden

Re: German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Post by that genius » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 am

One factor could be the climate.

Euros and most westerners are not sued to the heat/humidity combination.

Add age, stress from new environment/cultural differences, health issues, alcohol, medication and going out more often than back at home...recipe for prahok.
pczz
Expatriate
Posts: 2115
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:00 pm
Reputation: 374
Location: phnom penh
Great Britain

Re: German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Post by pczz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 am

that genius wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 am
One factor could be the climate.

Euros and most westerners are not sued to the heat/humidity combination.

Add age, stress from new environment/cultural differences, health issues, alcohol, medication and going out more often than back at home...recipe for prahok.
Yes and no. Heat reduces blood pressure by opening veins and arteries, diet and more exercise due to good weather affects diabetes, humidity helps with some lung disorders.
After 18 months here on no meds my doc was amazed when I got home and my BP was normal and so was my blood sugar. Within 6 months I was on medication again.
There is a caveat though. recently doctors warned that cutting out you blood pressure medication entirely can be dangerous because it can spike at night in hot climates, and over doing it in the heat can also stress the heart as much as in the cold so.... Tons on google about it
https://www.livestrong.com/article/2268 ... -pressure/
OKW
Expatriate
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:07 am
Reputation: 8
Location: worldwide
Angola

Re: German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Post by OKW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:38 am

Bernhardow wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 am
Not many Germans called Wellington ... dont tell me it is Harry.
Nor Harold, it would be more like Harald.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:56 pm
Reputation: 11
Cambodia

Re: German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:46 am

It seems I am the only one here who happened to know him personally. All this speculation on boards about people who died is really absurd, at least most of the time. Nobody knew him, but off you go. Why do people always have the urge to put their worthless 2 cents in.
Harald lived way out in the boondocks, so to speak, was building a small resort on an isolated stretch of beach, and right on the beach too, about 25km from SHV. He invested quite a bit of money in this place, but wasn't finished yet. As the picture shows he was quite a heavy guy and did have health problems. He was in early retirement. It could have been a stroke or a heart attack; at least it was a peaceful death in his sleep. He was a nice guy, so RIP.
User avatar
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Posts: 1099
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Reputation: 330
Vietnam

Re: German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Post by Cruisemonkey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:19 pm

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 am
one would think that these western embassies would be more proactive

Why? They're too busy not answering the phone or responding to email... and closing at noon to go off and socialize with champagne & caviar at other embassies.
You could be next.
OKW
Expatriate
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:07 am
Reputation: 8
Location: worldwide
Angola

Re: German Expat HAROLD WELLINGTON Dies of Heart Attack in Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Post by OKW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:12 pm

rubberbaron wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:46 am
It seems I am the only one here who happened to know him personally. All this speculation on boards about people who died is really absurd, at least most of the time. Nobody knew him, but off you go. Why do people always have the urge to put their worthless 2 cents in.
Harald lived way out in the boondocks, so to speak, was building a small resort on an isolated stretch of beach, and right on the beach too, about 25km from SHV. He invested quite a bit of money in this place, but wasn't finished yet. As the picture shows he was quite a heavy guy and did have health problems. He was in early retirement. It could have been a stroke or a heart attack; at least it was a peaceful death in his sleep. He was a nice guy, so RIP.
I don't really care about the cause of death. Never do. Since you are the only one on here in the know, not a worthless 2 cents kind of guy like the rest of us, what nationality/nationalities did Herold/Harald Gummistiefel hold?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post