What's the smallest caliber firearm you'd use to protect you

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: What's the smallest caliber firearm you'd use to protect

Post by vladimir »

My brother nearly killed himself when he tried to force another round into a Winchester 3030.

I nearly dislocated my shoulder the first time I fired a .458 (in my defence, I was 12 and the buffalo died instantly)

Then I nearly blew my hand off with a .357 magnum because I didn't check the cylinder and one round was still in the chamber.

Guns...be obsessively careful and patient, only shoot for the pot, and don't point at anything you don't intend to kill.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Saffers get the best Christmas presents when they're kids.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

With the .22mag it depends on the barrel length. Its still a 22cal, but in a longer case/more powder. Its also I believe slower burning rifle powder so it does better in a longer barrel, but still packs more in a short barrel then a regular .22 long rifle.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Haha, great OP SC!

In regards to self defence against humans in close range, calibre isn't all that important. Most people automatically assume or have been taught to aim for the chest....wrong! You should always aim for their pelvic area first, it is the largest body mass, it is a blood bearing bone, and the victim will lose the use of his legs immediately, also it is a much more defendable course of action legally.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Haha, great OP SC!

In regards to self defence against humans in close range, calibre isn't all that important. Most people automatically assume or have been taught to aim for the chest....wrong! You should always aim for their pelvic area first, it is the largest body mass, it is a blood bearing bone, and the victim will lose the use of his legs immediately, also it is a much more defendable course of action legally.
Thanks Kiwi - yeah, nothing like a shot to the genitals to get someone's attention! It's pretty hard to ignore that one.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

StroppyChops wrote:Thanks Kiwi - yeah, nothing like a shot to the genitals to get someone's attention!
I prefer ladies trying the BJ technique, but that's just my personal preference...
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Go big or go home....

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Home defense Rhodesian style

You could construct one of these - may be a few old RPDs lying around still
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The first two used to jam terribly.

The FN was a piece of crap, often jamming.

AK47 was king, Yanks never took notice when they went into Korea/Vietnam.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

vladimir wrote:AK47 was king, Yanks never took notice when they went into Korea/Vietnam.
soldiers did... they often picked them up off of the enemy to use. ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic