$1096 a month

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
markus62
Tourist
United States of America

$1096 a month

Post by markus62 »

Hello I'm new here and have been looking to retire somewhere outside the USA because I just can't afford to live here except in public housing and I hate it, so my questions are I receive $1096 a month I'm 62 in April and concerned about health care (costs), from a (reliable source) and my second question is what would $ 350 a month in rent get me? And could I bank any of that $1100 a month after rent, food, health insurance, one or two beers a day, no drugs. Well maybe a bowl now and then😁 Any information greatly appreciated from people in the know
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: $1096 a month

Post by that genius »

Boeung Tompoun: rent a 4/5 bed place for $250, sublet one floor for $100

Yes, you could save, but you would need discipline, and being celibate would aid you greatly, the local women are beautiful and friendly
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

What are your health problems? If it is high BP, diabetes, anything with the heart - forget it. In that case consider Georgia, moderate climate, easy visa. Or Bulgaria. Also consider where in Cambodia, the coast is pretty much history as the Chinese own it now. Phnom Penh is very difficult for an elderly man. My take is if someone wants to stay on this planet beyond 65 SEA is not the place for long term stays. Visit and enjoy the holiday but not more. This is not necessarily true for old hands who are adapted to some extent.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

If your only motivation is to save, maybe you won't adapt well.
But if you really feel like you want new experience abroad, just go and do not care anything !
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

In Phnom Penh you can easily find a one bedroom furnished place for $300 or even less, including cable TV and wifi. If you don't use the AC much, electricity will come in about $50/month and you can live on $15/day for food, drink and other essentials, so that all comes to about $800, less if you find a cheaper place. Only you can decide if you want to live in PP though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Micmac
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Micmac »

I was paying $200 a month for a 1 bedroom place at Russian Market with wifi,flatscreen tv,washing machine and aircon. electricity was about $50 a month.

Lots of places to drink cheap beer $0.50 $1.00
Flattery makes friends and truth makes enemies
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Just saying, but with less money I would spend more time in Thailand: upcountry you can get a room for $50 and a house for $150....
And as you are above 50 it is not difficult to get a visa.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

^^ yes, can get a 1 bed for as little as $200, just depends where you're looking and your standards.

As for health insurance, I was quoted $1200/year, but I am under 50, will presumably be higher for 62. Currently relying on travel insurance but you're not really meant to when you are living abroad. If you have any serious health problem they'll medevac you to your country of origin and drop you like a hot potato, so, being American, you would be screwed
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Move out of the city centre and you can get 2 beds for $150.

Electricity $75/month
Gas $20/month
bicycle $50 one-off, moto $350 one-off 2nd hand, or transport $25/week
Food $50/week
Beer $10/week
Internet $15/month
smart phone $150, one-off
phone credit $10/month
clothing $50/month max
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

markus62 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:43 pm Hello I'm new here and have been looking to retire somewhere outside the USA because I just can't afford to live here except in public housing and I hate it, so my questions are I receive $1096 a month I'm 62 in April and concerned about health care (costs), from a (reliable source) and my second question is what would $ 350 a month in rent get me? And could I bank any of that $1100 a month after rent, food, health insurance, one or two beers a day, no drugs. Well maybe a bowl now and then😁 Any information greatly appreciated from people in the know

There is no reason why you couldn't be a silverhaird backpacker travelling from country to country for a few years until you find the right place to settle down where you can live on you income.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic