Gold Leaf

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Manga
Expatriate
Cambodia

Gold Leaf

Post by Manga »

Does anyone know where to buy gold leaf used to cover Buddha images ?
Also, any idea on the cost ?

(I have a life sized Buddha head that I'd like to cover in gold leaf).
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Gold Leaf

Post by beaker »

It is actually gold so the price will fluctuate with the gold price + the manufacturing cost
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Manga wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:31 pm Does anyone know where to buy gold leaf used to cover Buddha images ?
Also, any idea on the cost ?

(I have a life sized Buddha head that I'd like to cover in gold leaf).

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrTHQjd ... uJ2WR6Jl0-

Close your eyes when praying to Buddha and you will not know the difference.
Spoiler:
And wat matters more, he wont even care.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Manga
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Manga »

I realise it's gold and would reflect the gold price. But seriously, do they sell say, 20 5cmx5cm sheets weighing 5g ???
And if so, where would I get them, Orussey ?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

There are shops that specialize in monk essentials. I can think of a couple near my house.
Look for a small shop (nothing fancy) with lots of saffron coloured stuff inside. Probably in close proximity to a temple.
Manga
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Manga »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:10 pm There are shops that specialize in monk essentials. I can think of a couple near my house.
Look for a small shop (nothing fancy) with lots of saffron coloured stuff inside. Probably in close proximity to a temple.
Username Taken, that's a helpful reply. :good: You wouldn't happen to know what sized bundles/packages they sell ?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I've never been in one of those stores, but as I recall they were usually bought in small 2 inch squares. Other than that I have no idea how they are packaged or what quantities for how much.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I seem to remember in Thailand at one temple the monks sold it for you to put on their Buddha at holidays
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Manga wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 pm I realise it's gold and would reflect the gold price. But seriously, do they sell say, 20 5cmx5cm sheets weighing 5g ???
And if so, where would I get them, Orussey ?
Gold is one of the most malleable metals, and gold leaf is gold that has been beaten into an incredibly thin sheet. It's generally 1 or 2 microns thick. One thousand sheets of one micron gold leaf would be as thick as the average photocopier paper, apparently you can get 300 square feet of gold leaf from one ounce of pure gold. The painstaking process it's made by is amazing, and should help in understanding that it is not really sold by weight, the cost of the metal per sheet is very low :
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

go to any shop that sells prayer stuffs, but beware of fake gold leaf, on side note, buddha teaching did not say anything about gold leaf, only incense, candle light n flowers
incense - represents mindfulness to infiltrate all areas
candle light - represent knowledge that dispel ignorant darkness
flower - represent impermanance
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic