Do you carry your passport/copy?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

I never leave home without it.
4%
Sometimes.
21%
Never.
75%

Total votes: 24
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I've heard it suggested that one should have a copy of their passport and visa "at all times" while here. I don't even own a copy and have never been asked to present it except by guesthouses and moto places in the last 2 years of living here...

Do you have/carry one?
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you carry your passport/copy?

Post by beaker »

I have a copy that I keep in the glove box of my moto along with my drivers license but if walking locally I don't carry it.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

I get really nervous when I'm traveling and I forget my passport, maybe I am borderline alcoholic?
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I get really nervous when I'm traveling and I forget my passport, maybe I am borderline alcoholic?
That actually took me a moment, but I seriously chuckled when I got there. Nice one, Garry!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

You're brain dead and beyond "gone local" if you don't keep a copy of your passport in your bike/moto along with contact info (relatives/friends in area who will help you out) and insurance info (if applicable)...what happens when you get hit and pass out?

Also, if you don't have a Khmer drivers license you're an idiot - what happens when you get into an accident with a local involving serious injury/death?

Uhh..it'll never happen to me..uhh..

Back in the "real world" you would never drive anything anywhere without needed documents/licenses...

but that's why all the fleeing "Libertarians" from the totalitarian, fascist, PC "Nanny State" are here - so they don't have to ever do anything sensible and responsible...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

dagenham wrote:You're brain dead and beyond "gone local" if you don't keep a copy of your passport in your bike/moto along with contact info (relatives/friends in area who will help you out) and insurance info (if applicable)...what happens when you get hit and pass out?

Also, if you don't have a Khmer drivers license you're an idiot - what happens when you get into an accident with a local involving serious injury/death?
Nope. Never. Did have an accident once. Small town, eventually someone recognized me.
Back in the "real world" you would never drive anything anywhere without needed documents/licenses.
Nope, not there either.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

You are not required to show license or registration in Oz, however if you are asked to identify yourself after breaking the law, you can be detained until identification is arranged. What amuses me here is carrying around the original owner card for a vehicle - even though you have no idea who that person is - and this somehow shows chain of custody. Surely if you keep that card in the vehicle and it's stolen, the thief can then demonstrate 'ownership'.

Bought a bike the other day and picked up the ownership card - the seller said to me, "don't lose that card, if you lose card, you lose bike".

Because Bodge.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:You are not required to show license or registration in Oz, however if you are asked to identify yourself after breaking the law, you can be detained until identification is arranged. What amuses me here is carrying around the original owner card for a vehicle - even though you have no idea who that person is - and this somehow shows chain of custody. Surely if you keep that card in the vehicle and it's stolen, the thief can then demonstrate 'ownership'.

Bought a bike the other day and picked up the ownership card - the seller said to me, "don't lose that card, if you lose card, you lose bike".

Because Bodge.
Wait a minute here, Chief, on that huge arid island of yours when you drive a vehicle you don't ever have to show the police any documents? License? Registration? Insurance? Then why would anyone ever get 'em? Hard to believe, mate...so, 12 year-olds can drive in OZ since no ID is required ever?

Also, I carry copies of all my docs in my bike here - including original ownership card...never carry the "real" one obviously...if needed can retrieve that one...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

dagenham wrote:
Wait a minute here, Chief, on that huge arid island of yours when you drive a vehicle you don't ever have to show the police any documents? License? Registration? Insurance? Then why would anyone ever get 'em? Hard to believe, mate...
Surprisingly the police have access to the database on licenses and vehicle registration (of which there is compulsory third party personal insurance).

Amazing I know...

What is a little 1984 though is the Australian police are currently trialling a new car camera that will automatically check registration details of every car they drive past as well as log the GPS coordinates and timestamp the cars.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

dagenham wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:You are not required to show license or registration in Oz, however if you are asked to identify yourself after breaking the law, you can be detained until identification is arranged. What amuses me here is carrying around the original owner card for a vehicle - even though you have no idea who that person is - and this somehow shows chain of custody. Surely if you keep that card in the vehicle and it's stolen, the thief can then demonstrate 'ownership'.

Because Bodge.
Wait a minute here, Chief, on that huge arid island of yours when you drive a vehicle you don't ever have to show the police any documents? License? Registration? Insurance? Then why would anyone ever get 'em? Hard to believe, mate...

Also, I carry copies of all my docs in my bike here - including original ownership card...never carry the "real" one obviously...if needed can retrieve that one...
In my (truck, ambulance, car and motorobike) driving experience, nobody carries registration papers for the vehicle, and you are not required to show them on request - the police can retrieve all of that data on the spot anyway.

It is normal to carry your driver's license and show it on request, but it is not a legal requirement in most states, and it is not an offence to fail to produce it to a traffic cop. However if you are asked to identify yourself and cannot do so, you can be held pending identification. If you happen to be driving your own vehicle, it is normal for cop to identify you from your plate number and address, date of birth etc. if you don't have your license on you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic