Australian Expat JAMES NEAL PASCOE Arrested in Phnom Penh for Selling Oranges & Orange Juice

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Australian Expat JAMES NEAL PASCOE Arrested in Phnom Penh for Selling Oranges & Orange Juice

Post by pczz »

violet wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 am Wow. That sux. The dude was probsbly trying to keep himself occupied so he wouldn't spend all day boozing with his mates.

The last sentence is amusing.... he shouldn't be working.
The police were probably concerned he was single handedly going to change Cambodian tradition. 'Dude, the women do this, not the men.' 'Go lie in your hammock or something.'
Try telling Australian immigration that one when they catch you driving taxis. it amazes me how expats breaking their visa conditions law in Cambodia is considered ok, but Cambodians breaking their visa conditions in "the west" are deported soon as they are caught. Bloody hypocrites
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Australian Expat JAMES NEAL PASCOE Arrested in Phnom Penh for Selling Oranges & Orange Juice

Post by onico »

Cambodia is no more Cambodia.

Hopefully, with the Chinese arrival, they (the gouvernement) do not need the money of the Westerners anymore.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Another juicy CEO story but really it's just Chinese New Year coming up soon so the police are putting the squeeze on vendors to full their red envelopes.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

onico wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:34 am Cambodia is no more Cambodia.
How dare the savages start enforcing laws instead of letting white people do whatever they want.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jerry Atrick wrote:Wow. It appears we live in Thailand now.
Yeah. I'm increasingly uneasy about living here and don't like the changes much, but it still beats other places. For now...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 am
Yeah. I'm increasingly uneasy about living here and don't like the changes much, but it still beats other places. For now...
yeah it was my lifetime ambition too, come to Cambodia and sell orange juice in the street. awe shucks
expatintheboonies
Tourist
Lithuania

Post by expatintheboonies »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 am
yeah it was my lifetime ambition too, come to Cambodia and sell orange juice in the street. awe shucks
yeh it will soon be easier to stay in thailand, atleast thai women are as hardened and money grubbing as khmer women have overtaken in that field
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 am How dare the savages start enforcing laws instead of letting white people do whatever they want.
Why to stay in Cambodia, Top of the best reasons :

1) Feeling a wind of freedom
(for example, I don't smoke, but I feel comfortable in a country where you don't go in jail, having your full name indexed in Google through CEO because you drink a green vegetable shake)

2) Delicious, clean, safe and cheap street food
(if you consider the food court of Aoen Mall as street food)

3) Smile of people
(old people! There are still some alive. Young people on the Phnom Penh Koh Pich Island or Jet's Container in other hand, are rather unfriendly)

4) Easy visas for foreigners
(so, ok, you right, we don't know which visa is the best to stay here longer ; wait and see how many runs we will need to do for 1 year in the future)

5) Easy girls
(if you can make them believe you will marry she in few month and give the family 10k dollars ASAP)

6) Price of real estate
(old bunny hutch local style for 400$/month ; or 100k$ to buy a small bed room in a new condominium)

7) Clean beautiful city
(there is some streets like that, I seen it already... few ones... two ?)

8 ) Easy to travel
(slowly in a big bus, full of locals seat on the floor - but it's cheap, for sure it is)

9) Security
(really, it's safe... just not wear bag and do not use your phone along the street - anyway, it's easy to deal with the police if you have a 100$ note in your pocket, coz, now in Cambodia, everything cost 100usd)

10) An honest advertisement
(on a few occasions, someone will lie to you about his offer to get your money - but, it's only rare times, for a day - who say "Scambodia" ?)

11) Good care at the hospital
(after a transfer to Bangkok)

12) Comprehensive, smart and professionnal people
(I met some foreigners like that)

Maybe, have somethings to fix and improve over the country before arrest a man who spend his retirement earning 5$/day by selling juice, is not it ? Showing this shameful person publicly do will encourage Westerners to spend their currencies here?

I stay here because I love Cambodia - and I protest for the same reason.

What future for Cambodia ? I guess, something like Tibet. Hope I am wrong.
Last edited by onico on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

onico wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:46 pm What future for Cambodia ? I guess, something like Tibet. Hope I am wrong.

It wouldn't surprise my if there are Chinese textbooks being printed right now claiming Cambodia is historically a province of China.
You could be next.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

first they came for the orange juice sellers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic