Where to change torn $100 bill

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Where to change torn $100 bill

Post by Cam Nivag »

bittermelon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 pm Re: Can we exchange torn money at the bank with lower value?
0 Report this post Quote

Post by jah steu » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:04 pm

"In my bars I make a point of accepting money in any condition... rips, holes, faded areas, tape...
I think it's just good customer service.
And some of the girls' English is not quite up to scratch. I've passed girls saying to customers who have given them a ripped note "your money shit, no good".
So we take any notes, and any hard foreign currency as well. Easy enough to change it later.
Once a month I take all the damaged notes to Acleda where they exchange them without question."

How did I not know this????
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Put the torn note in your wallet.

Fill up at petrol station

Pay with torn note, make sure all other cash is hidden.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've passed girls saying to customers who have given them a ripped note "your money shit, no good".
That's hilarious. They have a point though, fuck taking any note that's worth less than its face value at most money-changers. Where do all the dollars in circulation come from? Obviously individuals bring in a lot, as does trade, but do the banks buy in pallet-loads of new ones for their ATMs or what? Just asking for a friend who was very interested. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

bittermelon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 pm Once a month I take all the damaged notes to Acleda where they exchange them without question."
one wonders what all the extensive pondering, fingering, and examination is all about if it is so easy.
anyhow good to know thanks
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

(┛◉Д◉)┛ wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:00 pm
bittermelon wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 pm Once a month I take all the damaged notes to Acleda where they exchange them without question."
one wonders what all the extensive pondering, fingering, and examination is all about if it is so easy.
anyhow good to know thanks
To check if the note is real, not if it's torn
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Ok thanks for all the advice. I had already tried Canadia and they sent me to the national bank. Got accounts with acleda so will try them tomorrow.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

pczz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 pm Ok thanks for all the advice. I had already tried Canadia and they sent me to the national bank. Got accounts with acleda so will try them tomorrow.
Hope it works out. would be good to know.
I think I had posted before. When I was in Battambang I went to Acleda with £2000 in £20 notes. The casher was sorting through them! Two piles, one good, one not good, due to writing on them. I said stop due to the bigger pile being rejected. I took the cash to a money changer, he took the money to Acleda, he changed all with no problems.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:14 am
pczz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 pm Ok thanks for all the advice. I had already tried Canadia and they sent me to the national bank. Got accounts with acleda so will try them tomorrow.
Hope it works out. would be good to know.
I think I had posted before. When I was in Battambang I went to Acleda with £2000 in £20 notes. The casher was sorting through them! Two piles, one good, one not good, due to writing on them. I said stop due to the bigger pile being rejected. I took the cash to a money changer, he took the money to Acleda, he changed all with no problems.
Went to Acleda today and they would not accept it. Told me to go to Ly Hour, so looks like I will have to take a $30 hit. The moral of this story is count and check you notes carefully
MrKikilu
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by MrKikilu »

Pop into a cashino, put it in a machine, hit collect, new note.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

if you have a "good" enough relationship with a bank they will change for you.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic