Buying TH Baht in PP

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Buying TH Baht in PP

Post by Username Taken »

I need to buy about 20,000 baht.
Do you think I'd get a better rate in PP than BKK, or would it be a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other?
[Why would I think the rate here might be better? Cos they might want to convert the useless Thai money into useable USD.]
Where might I buy 20,000B in PP?

Any ideas?
Thnx
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Buying TH Baht in PP

Post by phuketrichard »

when exchanging thai baht to Riel/$ i use the exchangers at Kandal market, price varies very little between Thailand and PP

BUT if u use money exchangers here in Thailand ( i have one in phuket) i get a few % better rate both ways than banks
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Last time I bought Thai baht (was in June), I got a rate of THB 32.35 for USD 1. It was slightly better than the banks' rates in Bangkok.

I go to the currency exchange that is next to Central Market: http://bit.ly/1qI9mR0
That's usually where I go for all my currency exchange needs.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Super Rich or Siam Commercial Exchange if going to Bangkok. LINK: http://superrichthai.com/ SR's best rates are at their home office on Rajdamri. I go to the SCB near MBK & Siam Paragon. Bad rates at BKK. I wouldn't convert > $50 there. Here's a comparison site: http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

my wife always manages to get a better rate here than we can get there... but it may be in part from being khmer with me no where near the transaction.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Joon wrote:Last time I bought Thai baht (was in June), I got a rate of THB 32.35 for USD 1. It was slightly better than the banks' rates in Bangkok.

I go to the currency exchange that is next to Central Market: http://bit.ly/1qI9mR0
Thanks Joon. Job done!
31.65 Baht to 1 USD, compares well with the rates in wackyjacky's link.

:beer3:
khmerinade
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by khmerinade »

We usually get better rates here (outside Russian Market near the pharmacies on st. 163) than we do in BKK.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

OrangeDragon wrote:my wife always manages to get a better rate here than we can get there... but it may be in part from being khmer with me no where near the transaction.
Onhj.
khmerinade wrote:We usually get better rates here (outside Russian Market near the pharmacies on st. 163) than we do in BKK.
Username Taken wrote:
Joon wrote:Last time I bought Thai baht (was in June), I got a rate of THB 32.35 for USD 1. It was slightly better than the banks' rates in Bangkok.

Thanks Joon. Job done!
31.65 Baht to 1 USD, compares well with the rates in wackyjacky's link.

:beer3:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Great post. Much appreciated. :whip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic