hepatitis C

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

hepatitis C

Post by pczz »

This came up in another thread and might be useful for board members and families

Hep c can be cured.

https://www.hepatitisaustralia.com/cure-hep-c/

The drugs are expensive but they are provided at cost to the 100 poorest countries, which includes Cambodia.
If you are Khmer you can get it treated for free by medecins sans frontiers at Kossamak Hospital in Phnom Penh. They are fussy so may not treat you if you have severe damage to the liver or HIV or other things that mean you have apoor prognosis. I arranged this for our village chief last year, and he was clear after 4 months.
If you are barang you can probably get it done at Calmette. The chief went there first and they quoted $7000! I believe it is closer to $80,000 in the west
https://www.hepatitisc.uw.edu/page/trea ... buvir-drug
If you are prepared to have a go yourself you need to get a blood test for the genus and then a Khmer pharmacy can get you the tablets for around $350-$500 a month. you just have to find a pharmacy or doctor who will play ball as the cheap pills are only supposed to be for residents of poor countries. Treatment typically is 3 months.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: hepatitis C

Post by John Bingham »

I have a few family members who work in health-care and I've heard how expensive the Hep C treatment can be. It kind of pisses me off how low-life junkie scum (not saying all Hep-C infected people are like that but anyway) get $200,000 worth of treatment free a year while meanwhile burglarizing houses, mugging teenagers and getting bail even though they have 78 previous offenses or convictions. Meanwhile honest, hardworking individuals die every day because they can't afford the hospital bill. Anyway, it sounds like a worthwhile program.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

pczz wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:36 pm This came up in another thread and might be useful for board members and families

Hep c can be cured.

The drugs are expensive but they are provided at cost to the 100 poorest countries, which includes Cambodia.
If you are Khmer you can get it treated for free by medecins sans frontiers at Kossamak Hospital in Phnom Penh. They are fussy so may not treat you if you have severe damage to the liver or HIV or other things that mean you have apoor prognosis. I arranged this for our village chief last year, and he was clear after 4 months.
If you are barang you can probably get it done at Calmette. The chief went there first and they quoted $7000! I believe it is closer to $80,000 in the west
If you are prepared to have a go yourself you need to get a blood test for the genus and then a Khmer pharmacy can get you the tablets for around $350-$500 a month. you just have to find a pharmacy or doctor who will play ball as the cheap pills are only supposed to be for residents of poor countries. Treatment typically is 3 months.
Researching for a friend? :popcorn:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Free in Australia now. It's expensive but seen as cheaper in the long run for the health system.
Firefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Firefly »

Available in UK, a US friend flew to UK as it was cheaper, had their life changed changed by this new treatment. I think there are a few different types of Hep C and its important to get the right combination for your type. NHS website has a good info page.
'What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.' Charles Bukowski
A bardies
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by A bardies »

It's free in new zealand and the treatments are much less painful than they used to be
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I've had 2 Hep c tests, both came back as inconclusive..
i asked the dr, what does that mean? He said i may or may not have it, so i said why give me the test if u cant give me the results??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:32 am I've had 2 Hep c tests, both came back as inconclusive..
i asked the dr, what does that mean? He said i may or may not have it, so i said why give me the test if u cant give me the results??
The hep c test can be inconclusive at low levels of infection. There is a second test which identifies the specific type. The first test can be inconclusive if you have low levels of the virus. You can pay for the tests at pasterur clinic. I seem to remember its between $200 an $400 for each of them. With the chief they monitored him for several months first because and he had both tests done monthly before they started treatment.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

pczz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:43 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:32 am I've had 2 Hep c tests, both came back as inconclusive..
The hep c test can be inconclusive at low levels of infection. There is a second test which identifies the specific type. The first test can be inconclusive if you have low levels of the virus. You can pay for the tests at pasterur clinic. I seem to remember its between $200 an $400 for each of them. With the chief they monitored him for several months first because and he had both tests done monthly before they started treatment.
between $200 an $400
WTF ONLY $20 for them at the Bangkok Phuket international hospital
for $350 you can get a full medical ( EKG, Xray and all ) with complete blood, urine analysis.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

soup wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:00 am
pczz wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:36 pm This came up in another thread and might be useful for board members and families

Hep c can be cured.

Researching for a friend? :popcorn:
Sort of. I arranged it for our village chief cos he is a nice guy and doesn't rip us off
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic