supermarkets and markets

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: supermarkets and markets

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

People coming from Thailand, the Philippines and so on are always bitching about supermarkets here but the truth is, it's getting better every year, so if you think it's bad now, you probably wouldn't have survived starvation a few years back. I don't know what items you buy, but each place has a bit of a niche. It would help if you told us. Pencil is fairly cheap, as are many smaller "convenience" stores. For example, mozzarella is around $15-18 everywhere, but one place has it for 11. Sihanoukville is smaller, rents are cheaper and right at the port, so fewer shipping and refrigeration costs.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I never really had any problems here, even 15 years ago, but then I adapt and make do.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

As indicated earlier I have to adapt to the idea that PP is a step back from SHV which had been another one in the first place.

I buy mostly in markets, namely fruit, veggies, and in SHV I got my chicken directly from the cooling box once the lady knew me and not from the counter (in the market). I checked for fish and decided not to try.

Supermarkets were for me the go to place for meat and chicken. Chicken as indicated above I managed in SHV and it seems I can do the same here. Rice is actually better than in SHV, significantly better. Same holds true for bakeries. I noticed the slight differences in the selection of each supermarket. I took the by now famous tomato paste as a bench mark product. It is easy to store, the cans last for a long time, it is a cheap item (I thought), relatively widely used, etc. So not some French specialty for distinguished individuals. All three supermarkets had it and they all had a 100-200% mark up in comparison to Samudera in SHV.

I suspect that there is no place with a meat counter other than butcher shops. Dans Meat I have located but it seems to be European pricing or often more than that.

Next week I will try the wholesaler market which is a bit far but seems worthwhile. It will be a test as for a single person I dont need that much.

What pisses me really off the extreme cheating in the market. High prices and when I put things on my scale 20% or more weight loss..... So I have mentally red flagged already 3 vendors and wont buy from them. That's does not sound too bad but it is once you take into account that other vendors I would not even consider.

So here my updated questions: Fresh meat, where? Decent tomatoes, or put differently, what is the price for tomatoes I can use for salad? (SHV was 5K for barang, 4 for nice barang). Mushrooms? They were outrageously expensive in SHV. Ginger, anyone? I picked a piece and the woman asked 7K riel. In SHV maybe 1K. Sometimes I feel that market ladies take me for a total idiot as I m male.

Thanks for all the input.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

You can buy a electronic digital hand held set of scales for under $10, and they are small enough to slip in your pocket when you go to the market. Nothing pisses off the lady at the market more than a barang telling her her scales are wrong or she is cheating you, so always weigh the item on your scales before you pay (or walk away )
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

You might get some leads on meat here getting-your-fill/british-meats-t14638.html
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

The best advice has been given: go to Phsar Deumkor on St 217 near the Intercon.

Transport costs from the coast make Phnom Penh more expensive, a few people have said that.

You seem to be selectively deaf rr advice, and after your query was answered you are still posing the same questions.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Genius: Thanks for the praise and also the info. Now go back to my last posting and read again. I said that I will try the wholesale market as you had suggested to do so. I was also asked to specify my needs for better input. So I made it clear that I mostly buy from markets but for meat it is a problem. So I highlighted those items and added a few market items, namely ginger, mushrooms, tomatoes. That was all.

For pricing: I doubt that transport can play such a large role in order to explain the price differential. Perhaps I get a better grasp on the situation after my visit to the wholesale market. Right now it looks like there is a premium added to almost any product which is siphoned off. That would be the case for the supermarkets. As for the markets: I cant help the idea that I get fucked royally. More than I dare to imagine. The idea with the small scale is great. I was thinking of taking my kitchen scale but that would be too much of a show. I miss my market ladies in the Phils who took good care of me and also that decent old lady from SHV. I just gave her the bills and she took off what i owed her. I would not do that in PP for sure. Very different mentality.

So thanks again to all providing much needed input and I am sure that I wont be the only reader profiting from your combined knowledge. I m pretty sure that these are standard and recurring questions for many expats new to the city.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:42 pm You might get some leads on meat here getting-your-fill/british-meats-t14638.html
brussels sprouts - almost forgot how they taste. That would be a find....

Thanks for the link. When searching the map, the other expat butchers popped up on goggle map plus a Hok Hieng Meat Shop (wholesaler) at Kandal market. That's the closest aside from Dans Meat. Might be an idea to take a look at that and see if it is ok or just another destination for flies and cats.

So the meat front seems to be covered as good as possible. The veggies/fruit side of the story gets some further attention at the wholesale market and also during the visit to Kandal market. I fully understand that some are mocking my questions as things are certainly better than in the bad old times. But then again for someone who is used to cook and spend time shopping for supplies I am surprised. I had thought that such a big city with a sizeable expat community would be better set up.

Perhaps a very small contribution to the pool of knowledge, just my 5 cents. I buy the coffee near Central market on CDG right hand side a little up from PP Soriya Bus Station. Prices and also quality seemed to be better than the shops along the street in front of O'Russei, side of Capitol bus.

The Indian spice shop near O'Russei carries unfortunately only rather low qualities, imho. Some of the supermarket material (Thai Huot) looked better. Still need to check Besto's though.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OP,

PP is quite expensive for veggies and fruits compared with the surroundings.

Some typical prices I pay here, per kg. If you think the seller is cheating with the weight just smile, take the bag to the seller next door, and have a look at that scale

Ginger: 6.000 - 10.000 r (there's different kinds....)
Tomatoes: 4.000-6.000 r
Apples: 7.000-10.000 r
Mangoes: 3.000-5.000 r depending on kind and season
Rice: 2.000-5.000 r depending on kind
Chicken: 12.000-20.000 r depending on part
Pork: same
Beef: same

And finally, the pineapple:

1.500 r and up.
(┛◉Д◉)┛
Expatriate
Barbados

Post by (┛◉Д◉)┛ »

Pizzalover you need some attitude adjustment. shop with the right attitude and things will improve in the market
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic