No Joke Howard

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
LatinGemini
Expatriate
United States of America

No Joke Howard

Post by LatinGemini »

Curious about expats thoughts about No Joke Howard. Does he paint an accurate picture of PP & Cambodia? It's one a few YouTube video on Cambodia without the happy or drunken tourist or beautiful shots of Angkor or local markets.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: No Joke Howard

Post by soup »

Cambodia has issues. No Joke Howard has issues.

It's not surprising that he ended up here, and that he, with his limited capacity, clashed with 'things', here.

No matter where you go, your carry-on goes with you... and in NJH's case, he left a residue.

The question you have to ask yourself is; Can you survive the flight? :popcorn:
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

LatinGemini wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:31 am Curious about expats thoughts about No Joke Howard. Does he paint an accurate picture of PP & Cambodia? It's one a few YouTube video on Cambodia without the happy or drunken tourist or beautiful shots of Angkor or local markets.
most hate on NJH , but most are to lazy to make a VLOG and a patreon for there fan base (which mostly consists of shemales now)
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

No joke documented his life for all to see, unfiltered, unscripted and definitely without any shame. He made me cringe at is arrogance, ignorance and self absorption.

After he returned to America any possible motivation to watch his videos evaporated I can only drive by the same car accident a dozen or so ties..
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

I didn't really watch much of him, but from a couple videos I had the impression this guy's just a 2 year expat and what he's telling is the layer of
Cambodia that's available to 1-2 year expats who don't speak the language and live his lifestlye. From my experience it takes 5-8 years and learning the language, living with locals to get
a significant understanding of Cambodia. If I think back how I was after my first or second year, I was pretty clueless. That said his account is a pretty accurate
depiction of that layer for people like himself. Like he says in one video he left Asia because he didn't trust anyone, that just show he was either in the wrong crowd or didn't have time to establish relationships with trustworthy locals, so he ends up thinking all of them are untrustworthy.
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

One more thing is that Cambodian culture has a lot of good things and a lot of bad things. Quite a large proportion of expats tend to develop a resentment of the bad side in their first couple years, and Howard is obviously one of these. The honeymoon phase for the good side gets over quite quickly and unless you're doing something with your life, the bad side can bring you down. I've found that in order to survive and be happy in Cambodia, I've had to learn stuff and make major life changes on a regular basis.
It also depends on what kind of people you surround yourself with. When I first came to Cambodia, I established a relationship with a non-working girl and stayed away from the working ones. Other guys come here and after years their only friends are working girls, who are the type of people these same guys would probably not touch with a 10 foot pole in their own countries, and then they're surprised their Cambodian friends just want to take advantage of them. So does he paint an accurate picture? Given who he is and the choices he made, he's pretty accurate, but as above, he's just describing one layer of it. Cambodians can be super nice and respectful, but a lot of them are very rude if you get beyond the surface, I totally agree with him on that one. Of course not all, but quite a large percentage of them I would describe as very rude. They probably think the same about us, look at this guy Howard cursing like a psycho every 30 seconds for absolutely no reason. Now that is very rude too.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

LatinGemini wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:31 am Curious about expats thoughts about No Joke Howard. Does he paint an accurate picture of PP & Cambodia? It's one a few YouTube video on Cambodia without the happy or drunken tourist or beautiful shots of Angkor or local markets.
the fact that 75% of his videos were talking about blacks, drugs, ladyboys and his big dick, if you siv through all the crap he has some good content,
in his later videos he contradicts a lot of his views in his earlier videos, as mentioned in the posts above, that was just him going through his learning path in cambodia and himself,

a lot of what he talks about are just his opinions, which some people might agree with, but also a lot dont,
does he paint an accurate picture? his lifestyle is completely different to mine and many others so i would disagree,
again as mentioned in the posts above he was in the country only 2 years, he was still a bit wet behind the ears
he did make an effort to learn the language and stuff and ironic to your post i found his videos about the local markets and food stalls to be his most informative and helpful for newbies
the rest of them though...
for example he made over 15 videos about being an English teacher and teaching English in Cambodia... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ng+english
this is a statement from one of his employers...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic