single mama starting small school in the south

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: single mama starting small school in the south

Post by that genius »

meganblossoms wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:20 amOne thing that somewhat confused me in reading through the responses was the sentiment that I'm "too late in the game"--as I mentioned, I'm looking to facilitate a very small scale alternative learning project, <25 learners maximum, including my own kids, and I'm not seeking to turn a profit. It's hard to imagine that the sentiment of being a day late to the competitive private education scene fits in this scenario.

10 years ago starting a school was easy, fewer requirements, costs were lower, fewer options for students, local officials were more open to barangs doing this kind of thing

All of those things have changed to varying degrees

If you were doing this in 2000, or even in 2008, most would encourage you, I think.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Chaturbater wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:32 pm too many do gooder yanks here already
I've met some great yanks here, I think we need more.

Not so sure about the Brits, LOL
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

that genius wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 am
Chaturbater wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:32 pm too many do gooder yanks here already
I've met some great yanks here, I think we need more.

Not so sure about the Brits, LOL
or the Aussies, LOL
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Aussies are shop-soiled Brits
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

that genius wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm Aussies are shop-soiled Brits
Yep. we sent the religious nutters to US and the criminals to Australia. That just left the idiots behind and its been all downhill since
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

that genius wrote:Aussies are shop-soiled Brits
Whereas the Americans are pure bred!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Barang chgout wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 pm
that genius wrote:Aussies are shop-soiled Brits
Whereas the Americans are pure bred!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Except in the Appalachians where they are allegedly all pure inbred according to Deliverance
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

I agree with Arget that it's best to spend a few months learning the place before you start immediately.
Kampot is much much cheaper than Sihanoukville now and also much more stable as Sihanoukville is literally being torn apart by the Chinese as others said. (I.e. the first aircon room I asked in Kampot cost 8 dollars, while in Sihanoukville there was nothing under 20). A passive income of 4000 usd is excellent in Cambodia, especially Kampot, you'll easily be able to
rent a larger building there which can function both as your home and school. Don't go for low end, establish a normal comfortable lifestyle, otherwise
you and your kids may end up hating your life and that will cause you to give up. Too late? Ridiculous, Cambodia needs all the help it can get, and now
it's at a level where you can actually have a comfortable life while helping locals, so it's a great project.
Do maintain a legal entity in the US, so you have the option of getting grant money, etc, for the school or future projects you may establish,(i.e. make sure US citizens who donate can tax deduct their donation). You're going to have to figure out your pricing because the locals will not understand that you teach some for free while charging others - there's no way for you to know their incomes either, so the sliding scale won't work. Best to have a fixed price for everyone, but set up a separate foundation that pays for the poor kids, so they don't have the impression you're discriminating.
Contact people specifically who are in the field,
and I'm sure you'll get much better advice than here. Good luck!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic