Khmer driving licence - really?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Khmer driving licence - really?

Post by Kayve »

kennzo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:51 am
Kayve wrote:
kennzo wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:29 pm Motorbike:
So I've had a Khmer driving licenses in the past, but then got lazy on the annual renewal.
So my questions:

#1. I have a full EU driving license, am I breaking the law by driving a motorbike in Cambodia without a Khmer license?

#2. Assuming I need a Khmer driving licence, is there any option to get something that lasts longer than one year?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

#1: Yes, you do, even with international driving license.

#2: Assuming you're khmer, you can renew it for 10 years.
There's an extremely slim chance of me holding an EU driving license AND being Khmer, not impossible, but slim!

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk
:lol: :beer3:
Don't forget the water buffalo
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

BTB wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 am Does anyone know if the test for the 10 year licence is in English or Khmer ??? I would of thought it would be in Khmer...
apparently very difficult to pass - a friend with knowledge of the language and obviously proper driving experience was only able to pass from like a third attempt
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

SockPuppet wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:28 am
BTB wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:14 am Does anyone know if the test for the 10 year licence is in English or Khmer ??? I would of thought it would be in Khmer...
apparently very difficult to pass - a friend with knowledge of the language and obviously proper driving experience was only able to pass from like a third attempt
Due to lack of skills or lack of sufficient funds to pay off the inspector?
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

hanno wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 am
SockPuppet wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:28 am
Due to lack of skills or lack of sufficient funds to pay off the inspector?
refusing to pay out of principle in the first two attempts :ROFL: :ROFL:
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Can a tourist rent a car and drive on a western Licence?
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

willyhilly wrote:Can a tourist rent a car and drive on a western Licence?
They can, but it will not be fully legal.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Define 'drive'.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic