Was a Woman Really Dosed With Scopolamine (Devil's Breath) at the Russian Market Like This Expat Thinks?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Was a Woman Really Dosed With Scopolamine (Devil's Breath) at the Russian Market Like This Expat Thinks?

Post by General Mackevili »

"Need help. It seems like a friend got dosed with something at the Russian market. She wandered away and managed to get home somehow but doesn't remember me, shopping at the Russian market, or anything else that happened after she left her house. She has no idea how she got home. She doesn't remember anything. No one is sure but it sounds like Scopolamine, which is compound from the jimson weed/ belladonna family. Has anyone heard something about this? Should she go to the hospital?"

^ That was posted on social media. I have a hard time believing it.

Some replies to his story:

"Your friend is very lucky, I am happy she is safe <3 haven't heard of that here myself before though

Might actually be scopolamine. Apparently it's easily accessible here. Seems like someone tried to rob her but something went wrong. A visit at a hospital and running some blood tests might be a good idea; Allergic reaction is rare but you never know...

Jesus, how can someone do this? Do you have to drink the thing? Eat it?

It's enough you blow it into someone's face and they inhale....

Her memory came back fully after about 24 hours. She still doesn't remember what happened during those two missing hours. I've talked to some Cambodians since and they say that it is often well dressed Cambodians with lots of jewelry and rings and such who will do it, touch the skin and that's enough to make the person loose their minds, get on that persons motorbike and drive to the bank to empty their cards. Crazy stuff.

Did she lose anything?

Fortunately she didn't lose anything which is strange because she travelled about 10 blocks before the police reportedly put her in a Tuktuk headed for home. She had the bump on her head and a scraped spine. Don't know what happened.

Devil's breath in Cambodia? Wow, I thought that it was a thing in Colombia.

It's available here. Sadly....

Never seen scopolamine here, neither does the tree exist in Asia. So i dont know why you are so sure that it is (easily) available here.

+ the price of getting scopolamine here in cambodia would be much too much to try and rob some backpackers in the market.

Impossible to be sure without a lab test, but 99% sure it will be something else then scopolamine

They've been using in Sihanoukville for years."
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Re: Was a Woman Really Dosed With Scopolamine (Devil's Breath) at the Russian Market Like This Expat Thinks?

Post by SockPuppet »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:53 pm She had the bump on her head and a scraped spine. Don't know what happened.
she might want to check for a possibility of a rape

scary shit though
i remember similar stories also around Russian market from years ago
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: Was a Woman Really Dosed With Scopolamine (Devil's Breath) at the Russian Market Like This Expat Thinks?

Post by soup »

It's being used in France, so the papers say.

Not a very nice drug at all!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's possible that it's available in pharmacies as Hyoscine.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Unlikely to be Scopolamine, which is used to relieve nausea, vomiting, and dizziness associated with motion sickness and recovery from anesthesia and surgery etc. While unusual reactions to ordinary doses have been reported such as "confusion, agitation, rambling speech, hallucinations, paranoid behaviors, and delusions". This is not common and while rapidly acting incapacitating agents do exist Scopalamine is not one of them.

If the woman's report are to be believed I would think that something like Fentanyl or QNB would be more likely. Because of the "myth status" of scopolomine victims of incapacitating agents assume it was scopalamine and by the time a victim is admitted to a hospital the incapacitating agent, whatever it was is long out of the system. Info on dosage here:https://www.drugs.com/dosage/scopolamine.html

"Fentanyl (and other opioids) could possibly be used as an incapacitating agent to impair a person’s ability to function. In October 2002, the Russian military reportedly used “a fentanyl derivative” against terrorists holding hostages in a Moscow theater; 127 of the hostages died. (It is unclear whether the gas used also included other chemical agent(s).) Fentanyl is odorless."

"Fentanyl can be absorbed into the body via inhalation, oral exposure or ingestion, or skin contact. It is not known whether fentanyl can be absorbed systemically through the eye."https://www.cdc.gov/NIOSH/ershdb/Emerge ... 50022.html

"QNB is an incapacitating agent and has been considered historically for use as a chemical warfare agent. A very potent drug, QNB causes confusion and hallucinations; it also affects circulation, digestion, salivation, sweating, and vision. Impairments caused by QNB are generally temporary and unlikely to be fatal; however, they can be severe if exposure is large enough."

"QNB can be absorbed into the body by inhalation, ingestion, skin contact, or eye contact. Inhalation and ingestion are important routes of exposure for the solid. Skin and eye contact are routes of exposure when QNB is mixed with a liquid solvent that would enhance absorption."https://www.cdc.gov/NIOSH/ershdb/Emerge ... 50015.html
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

He said bump on the head, so sounds like plain old concussion to me.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:12 pm He said bump on the head, so sounds like plain old concussion to me.
Yes I think your correct, I didn't see that at first reading.
"Fortunately she didn't lose anything which is strange because she travelled about 10 blocks before the police reportedly put her in a Tuktuk headed for home. She had the bump on her head and a scraped spine. Don't know what happened."

Could have been knocked of the back of a moto or something. In that case checking for TBI at a hospital would be a good idea. I would suggest get there asap. A friend of mine had a brother who had a similar accident here. He was knocked off the back of his friends moto as they were setting off. He hit his head on the kerb. He thought he was ok but in the night his condition deteriorated, he was taken to hospital but died before morning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

datura is a rich source of the scopalimide alkaloids and the seeds carry a very potent dose.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura#Toxicity
i took it as a teenager and was out of it for 3 days. i mean, i was paralyzed. the people who stupidly gave it to me gave me a large dose, and did not call an ambulance. at least they did look after me; took about a week for my vision to normalise.
when i came back to conciousness, i was having a piss and i noticed a bearded gnome sitting on the bathtub- then i turned around and he was gone. that is when i started to realise i was in trouble.
LOL.
it was an over the counter medicine for asthmatics sold as "blue mountain asthmador" and was used in therapeutic cigarettes for many years. It often included lobelia spp.
Taken orally, it killed many entheogen seekers in the 1960's.
roytolmeijer
Tourist

Post by roytolmeijer »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic