Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by pczz »

taabarang wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:03 pm "a fes i lnow got out a few years ago after gazing into the crystal ball.
some are members here."

Please put that quote into English. For what it's worth very few posters here have balls, much less crystal ones.

As a side note, "perhaps "more civilized than thou" types.". .,that ironically describes your writing style.
this is a forum for people to express their views, not an English test. Criticize a point of view by all means but not how it is spelt or worded or we will never get to discuss anything other than why CEO spell checker uses American spellings. Also please do not make comments about posters balls. I doubt you have looked at many of them, but if you have you should keep that private. I have no desire to check if you have any, not interested. As for the lady members, I do not find it all surprising or interesting whether they have balls or not. Damn this American spelling sux
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Is the PPP next to owe back taxes?

Post by Abc123 »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:20 pm yes, i don't notice any great campaign for free and fair democracy in Laos by USA, or China for that matter.
times are changing.
a fes i lnow got out a few years ago after gazing into the crystal ball.
some are members here.
Can you tell me how much money was donated to Laos by western tax payers? China was the USA's hated enemy until they sided with them against Russian influence, and then sold themselves for a few dollars. We all know that western governments will support dictators who boil their opponents in oil if there's a buck to be made. But never confuse those people with free and fair journalism because you're worried about your own asses.

Sure certain players have had a hard on for Cambodia since Vietnam beat them, but it's a long stretch of the imagination to compare the lives of western citizens to the lives of Cambodians.

What you lot are saying is that it's a bad thing to have an opposition.

It seems like quite a few posters think that free press and stupid little things like supporting justice and the right to peaceful demonstration are imperialist foreign ideas that have no place in the world. Be careful what you wish for.
Last edited by Abc123 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm No, because they don't owe any back taxes. They were always way ahead of the Daily when it came to accountability.
On a side-note - Bernard Krisher, later of the Cambodia Daily, wrote an inaccurate article in 1965 or so naming the Queen Mother Kossamak as a brothel and opium den owner. It turned out she only owned the land that these independent businesses were on. The article caused such a fuss that there were riots in Phnom Penh and the US and British embassies were ransacked.
More spurious rubbish.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Also please do not make comments about posters balls. I doubt you have looked at many of them, but if you have you should keep that private. "

It was obviously used metaphorically, but your prudish obsession is quite telling.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Abc123 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:36 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm No, because they don't owe any back taxes. They were always way ahead of the Daily when it came to accountability.
On a side-note - Bernard Krisher, later of the Cambodia Daily, wrote an inaccurate article in 1965 or so naming the Queen Mother Kossamak as a brothel and opium den owner. It turned out she only owned the land that these independent businesses were on. The article caused such a fuss that there were riots in Phnom Penh and the US and British embassies were ransacked.
More spurious rubbish.
You don't know what you're talking about:

Bernard Krisher- Newsweek April 5 1965

And Laos receives plenty of foreign aid, here's just one graph:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/675 ... tion-laos/
Over the years, Japan, Australia and Germany as well as multilateral institutions such as the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and International Development Association (IDA) in the World Bank
(WB) Group have been Laos’ top donors /creditors .Recently, however, the Republic of Korea (ROK) and Thailand have ranked among major donors and creditors.
https://www.sombath.org/wp-content/uplo ... -Watch.pdf
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 pm
More spurious rubbish.

Over the years, Japan, Australia and Germany as well as multilateral institutions such as the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and International Development Association (IDA) in the World Bank
(WB) Group have been Laos’ top donors /creditors .Recently, however, the Republic of Korea (ROK) and Thailand have ranked among major donors and creditors.
Are you seriously trying to mislead readers into thinking falsehoods again. Laos foreign investment by OECD countries was severely affected by the reemergence of Chinese rule in the 70's, and it never had the billions UNTAC spent on Cambodia. The link you supplied is defunct as well. It's to a $50 p y pay site.

Here's a list of US aid for the years 1960 and 2015 for Laos, Cambodia and others.
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/DT.ODA.ALLD.CD

They receive about half what Cambodia receives. It has never had billions of western tax payers money spent on stopping a civil war and bringing in a democracy.
The idea that Krisher alone caused riots at the US embassy is laughable to say the least. Even the author of your so called evidence, says ostensibly. Do you know what that word means?
Last edited by Abc123 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 pm
More spurious rubbish.

I think there maybe a problem with this site as I gave you a negative 'like', but it came out positive. I guess the CPP have now taken over this website, or perhaps the owners have sold it to the Chinese?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ No the negative vote worked fine for me.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:16 pm ^^ No the negative vote worked fine for me.
Idiot, I was talking about Bingham's post, as you well know. Are you a mod?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Abc123 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:37 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:16 pm ^^ No the negative vote worked fine for me.
Idiot, I was talking about Bingham's post, as you well know. Are you a mod?
Idiot?

You're the one that can't tell the difference between a thumb up and a thumb down, then call it a 'problem with the site'. :facepalm:

:plus1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic