Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by taabarang »

"“No matter what happens and at any cost, the election must be held,” he said in the speech, warning against radio stations and newspapers that might “twist and pollute the situation”.
“I would hope that The Post, having had a pretty long life in Cambodia, would have learned more,” he said"

Sounds like a warning to me. Full article at

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national-pol ... atter-what#
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Is the PPP next to owe back taxes?

Post by Abc123 »

taabarang wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:12 pm
“I would hope that The Post, having had a pretty long life in Cambodia, would have learned more,” he said"

Sounds like a warning to me. Full article at

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national-pol ... atter-what#
He could have been referring to the next bit he is reported to have said:
The premier went on to say that Cambodia successfully held elections in the midst of political instability in 1998, a year after he wrested full control of the country from Prime Minister Prince Ranariddh in bloody factional fighting.
But I think it presented a dual idea. That of remembrance and also of a warning.

BTW, voter turn out for the '98 elections was 93%.
Last edited by Abc123 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Give them a reason to knock you over politically, they will.

They have to. Because the West may pull funding, only Uncle China will save Cambodia.

And China has stipulations to funding. "We don't want to work with anyone else. So follow Chinese doctrine, and be diligent on pulling weeds these next 6 months before the election. Then we'll be OK, and continue propping up your country for your ASEAN vote."

Ka-ching!!
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

TBF if you wave a red rag at a bull you should not complain when he gores you. Unfortunately the western press in Camabodia has suffered from bad reporting by recently qualified journalist wanting to make their a name of themselves and has been very much a "mouthpiece of the west" to papraphrase an insult often thrown at Khmer press. They are not alone. In the past 2 years the BBC has published so called investigative pieces on subject I know a lot about and that was badly researched biased claptrap as well. Sadly the press reports its versions of events as determined by the editor and the owners and it is almost impossibl to find unbiased complete factual reports on anything anywhere
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes, i don't notice any great campaign for free and fair democracy in Laos by USA, or China for that matter.
times are changing.
a fes i lnow got out a few years ago after gazing into the crystal ball.
some are members here.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

frank lee bent wrote: a fes i lnow got out a few years ago after gazing into the crystal ball.
Google Translate is getting more worthless by the day.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is The Phnom Penh Post next to owe back taxes in Cambodia?

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Ah, it all panders to the liberal leftists agenda, charity orgs, and perhaps "more civilized than thou" types.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

No, because they don't owe any back taxes. They were always way ahead of the Daily when it came to accountability.
On a side-note - Bernard Krisher, later of the Cambodia Daily, wrote an inaccurate article in 1965 or so naming the Queen Mother Kossamak as a brothel and opium den owner. It turned out she only owned the land that these independent businesses were on. The article caused such a fuss that there were riots in Phnom Penh and the US and British embassies were ransacked.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm No, because they don't owe any back taxes. They were always way ahead of the Daily when it came to accountability.
On a side-note - Bernard Krisher, later of the Cambodia Daily, wrote an inaccurate article in 1965 or so naming the Queen Mother Kossamak as a brothel and opium den owner. It turned out she only owned the land that these independent businesses were on. The article caused such a fuss that there were riots in Phnom Penh and the US and British embassies were ransacked.
Did these independent businesses or their landlord pay tax on the profits? :stir:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"a fes i lnow got out a few years ago after gazing into the crystal ball.
some are members here."

Please put that quote into English. For what it's worth very few posters here have balls, much less crystal ones.

As a side note, "perhaps "more civilized than thou" types.". .,that ironically describes your writing style.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic