Killing the Buffalo ceremony - Kratie ethnic minority pray to ancestors

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Killing the Buffalo ceremony - Kratie ethnic minority pray to ancestors

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Ha. Here is the crux: to you a Honda Dream is a cheap scooter.

To them, it's a well-bred, proven workhorse named Sleipner (Odin's steed, haha).

To anyone who loved their faded and worn blue jeans, trusty ride or reliable weapon, you may understand this act of sacrifice.

It's heart warming they loved their chief much.

These are real, core human / primitive rituals that honor something or someone higher than just themselves.

Better than most "civilized" self-serving scum I occasionally see.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chorlton,

Have a point of view, but really, you and your ignorant kind should not presume you and your culture are superior.

That's all.

You still avoid commenting on Spain and spearing their bulls. More bull from you? Haha.

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:51 pm Ha. Here is the crux: to you a Honda Dream is a cheap scooter.

To them, it's a well-bred, proven workhorse named Sleipner (Odin's steed, haha).

To anyone who loved their faded and worn blue jeans, trusty ride or reliable weapon, you may understand this act of sacrifice.

It's heart warming they loved their chief much.

These are real, core human / primitive rituals that honor something or someone higher than just themselves.

Better than most "civilized" self-serving scum I occasionally see.
A Honda Dream is not a cheap scooter to me. I was making some observations, not trying to put anyone down.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

OK, but yes, the tribal poor care little for personal possessions, a trait typical of the defiant poor.

They honor their dead leader. True manly respect.

Sometimes, in the jungle, honor and respect is all you've got (or need, for that matter).

I credit this sense of pride among the rural poor to the success of the microfinance banks here.

The poor really do pay back money smartly lent to them, it's their name/pride on the line!

It's the old yet practical form of credit recording that TRW and Experian practice today.

Just "old school village" style, haha.

chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

Seemingly not killing shit is superior to killing shit

I'll take that compliment

If you want to kill something start with yourself honey
I'm well past your trolling pish & I bet youre a gent face 2 face
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SmartAston Martin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 pm
I credit this sense of pride among the rural poor to the success of the microfinance banks here.

The poor really do pay back money smartly lent to them, it's their name/pride on the line!
Sure they do pay it back, at astronomical rates. Usury has been one of the main roots of misery here for centuries, there is nothing for anyone to be proud about.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Usury - wrong.

Gain in notoriously unstable and immature markets - we should applaud these early lenders who gave and gave **where no one else would.**

But agreed, as the market matures, high interest is crippling.

mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

There is similar ceremony in the area between Kampot and Sihanoukville.
The difference is that the animal sacrifice is done by using a high speeding bus.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

How does killing a buffalo benefit their dead ancestors?

Have their ancestors been reincarnated as bar girls with barang sponsors?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic