Major Cineplex (Aeon Mall Cinema) Pricing in Phnom Penh, Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Major Cineplex (Aeon Mall) Pricing?

Post by vladimir »

How are the patrons behaving at the cinema?

If it's anything like Lux, don't want to go.

Screaming, shouting, phones, running around, yuk.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

I suspect much better than Lux (never been there), slightly better or on par with Legend.

I've been there to watch Transformers (yeah, sue me, but I can't let go of my childhood memories. Plus, badass cars, robots and voice acting. Nuff said) and while there hasn't been any outright rude behavior, it was still slightly annoying that people in my row would take a toilet break in the middle of the movie.

I think Legend has done an initial good job at teaching local customers "cinema etiquette."
They have a short spot before the movie starts to ask moviegoers to turn off or put their phones on silent. And last time I went to Legend at City Mall (went to watch How to Train Your Dragon 2 with my son), I didn't spot anybody speaking loudly or answering their phones (Though I had to quietly answer my son's questions and comments and tell him to speak quietly). The movie had very fun moments, so of course there was laughter in the hall.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Cool, thanks, Joon.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I honestly think the change might be in part to the General and I's efforts, haha. They've paid off. I used to go on a weekly basis shortly after they opened. Despite always trying my best to avoid the "rush hours" (Sunday afternoons and 4-7pm evenings), there were still a ton of idiots there with poor etiquette. They essentially thought watching a movie at the cinema was the same as watching it at home. Phones with full sound on, answering phones, people talking incessantly, grandmas not understanding the story and needing a complete dialogue run through out loud, people coming in 20 minutes late etc. Anyways, I can't count the number of times I told people to shut their mouth or close their phone in there. I'd start by turning around and staring at them and saying: "Shhhhh!!!". Then I'd turn around and tell them to shut up or close their phone. If they persisted I'd get up, turn around and either get close to them or make a fucking angry face at them and raise my voice big time (with the same message).

One time I was sure a fight was going to break out. A guy answered his phone (with sound ringing) like 4 times throughout the movie and would start chatting. I told him several times to shut up. The last time, I got up (he was right behind me), moved my face literally 20cm from his as he was talking on the phone and told him in no uncertain terms to shut it (but moite!). I sat back down with my fists clenched half expecting a whack on the head and a fight to break out when I suddenly felt his head move close to mine and his breath on my ear as he said very quietly:
"Sorrryyy"
Seemed that getting really close was the only way he understood my anger. He didn't do it again though by then the movie was almost over. The girls are worse though. When you tell them to shut up they give you this look and seem to think you're the one who's being rude. Well bitch, you brought it on yourself.

Anyways, I get riled up over shit like that. GM mentioned he also did it all the time as well. Seems our combined efforts have paid off... 8)

I also make it a point to ask any date I'm with if their phone is off before the movie starts. And if they ask questions too loudly I tell them to hush. It's also a good excuse to move my face next to their cheeks and explain by whispering in their ears really quietly some key moments in the movie. I do agree things have gotten way better though. Still best to avoid opening nights and rush hour though. I'm still avoiding Aeon but might go check it out on a weekday or something.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:

Anyways, I get riled up over shit like that. GM mentioned he also did it all the time as well. Seems our combined efforts have paid off... 8)
Ha! Honestly, I think there's a lot of truth to that.

In the last dozen visits everyone seems to be following the rules. I think it's a direct response of us Westerners giving them shit about it since its opening.

Well done! Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

haha well, thank you both for having contributed to enhance my movie theater experience ;)
Since Legend first opened, I have been to the movies only three times. First was Transformers 3 and getting our seats was a bit chaotic.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic