The controversy over HE's health

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

The controversy over HE's health

Post by that genius »

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/h ... d-45530365

The most interesting thing to me, is that Chambers, who teaches at a university in Thailand, has so much time to attack what he labels a pseudo-democracy in Cambodia, whilst simultaneously saying little about the military govt in Thailand. The hypocrisy is just laughable.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: The controversy over HE's health

Post by Arget »

Simple answer.

He lives in Thailand so you don't shit where you eat.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it kind of destroys any argument/criticism he makes.

The obvious qpoint is if he considers Thailand a more democratic place to live in, he should just keep quiet.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

that genius wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:22 pm Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it kind of destroys any argument/criticism he makes.

The obvious qpoint is if he considers Thailand a more democratic place to live in, he should just keep quiet.
Whataboutism.

It doesn't destroy his argument at all.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Nah, it's carefully worded hypocrisy from a sophist.

Pure, refined bullshit.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

username wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:24 pm
that genius wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:22 pm Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it kind of destroys any argument/criticism he makes.
Whataboutism.

It undermines the legitimacy, because he doesn't say it in Thailand. He gets zero respect. If he's really so concerned about democracy, he can start closer to home, a country that has had the most coups in history.

That's my opinion. If you're going to be respected as a journalist/political commentator, be consistent and impartial.

Do you think a North Korean could criticise the US, Thailand or Cambodia and not get laughed out of the house?
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

that genius wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 pm
Whataboutism.

It undermines the legitimacy, because he doesn't say it in Thailand. He gets zero respect. If he's really so concerned about democracy, he can start closer to home, a country that has had the most coups in history.

That's my opinion. If you're going to be respected as a journalist/political commentator, be consistent and impartial.

Do you think a North Korean could criticise the US, Thailand or Cambodia and not get laughed out of the house?
I don't care where the criticism comes from or where the person criticising is based, it's not important.
The argument stands or falls on its own merit.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

that genius wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 pm
that genius wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:22 pm
Yes. Kim is making POTUS look like a complete idiot, and in some quarters is considered a hero for standing up to a bullying USA.
Which kind of brings us back to the original topic. I am far more worried about Trumpy's mental health at the moment. As he keeps reminding us he has a big red button, which HE does not have.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic