I want my sidewalk back.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: I want my sidewalk back.

Post by that genius »

No fear, this will last a week or two, then back to normal
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

that genius wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:51 pm No fear, this will last a week or two, then back to normal

Thank-you Dr genius, what med's do you think we all should take.?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

that genius wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:51 pm No fear, this will last a week or two, then back to normal
I'm sure you're right. A month or so ago they cleared a 2m wide path through the Old Market, of what might once have been the top end of Street 15. It lasted all of two weeks. Shits me that people still try to ride their motos through there.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Some call it encroachment.

I call it "jungle creep."

Like in Angkor, the jungle eventually takes over, if left to its own devices.

It's a constant battle against the forces of entropy and ennui.

Accept a bit, then concertedly force the jungle back.

By "the jungle" - I do not mean greenery.

I mean wildness, the law of might, and unruliness.

Look at Ta Phrom in Siam Reap - and witness what happens when civilization fails in Cambodia ...

Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

The jungle never creeps!
It fucking races!
I promise you!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:56 am
prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:46 pm You can have a little bit of St. 148 back.
Street vendors told to move from road

Sen David / Khmer Times

Daun Penh district authorities on Monday ordered a group of vendors who have been selling their goods from baskets or small stalls for many years to move from a street at Kandal market to allow traffic to pass through.

On Monday, Daun Penh authorities held a meeting which decided to order vendors to move from Street 148 in Kandal market from Tuesday.

Sok Penhvuth, the Daun Penh district governor, said Street 148 is a public road near Kandal market, but some vendors set up there to sell fish or vegetables and have blocked the whole street for many years.

He said he ordered market authorities to collect the names and number of vendors who sell there and block the road, which he wants to reopen to traffic.

“They come to sell there but block the public road,” he said.

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5098174/str ... move-road/
Looking better already Image
Was better looking ,,, but this is the view today.

Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:19 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:56 am
prahocalypse now wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:46 pm You can have a little bit of St. 148 back.
Street vendors told to move from road

Sen David / Khmer Times

Daun Penh district authorities on Monday ordered a group of vendors who have been selling their goods from baskets or small stalls for many years to move from a street at Kandal market to allow traffic to pass through.

On Monday, Daun Penh authorities held a meeting which decided to order vendors to move from Street 148 in Kandal market from Tuesday.

Sok Penhvuth, the Daun Penh district governor, said Street 148 is a public road near Kandal market, but some vendors set up there to sell fish or vegetables and have blocked the whole street for many years.

He said he ordered market authorities to collect the names and number of vendors who sell there and block the road, which he wants to reopen to traffic.

“They come to sell there but block the public road,” he said.

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5098174/str ... move-road/
Looking better already Image
Was better looking ,,, but this is the view today.

They cleared up Phsar Chas St 15 again a couple of weeks ago and so far it's held.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Street markets add character to the city.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 pm Street markets add character to the city.
I totally agree with that, but they must be organized so you can walk through them,,, and preferably without wearing your gumboots.

Street markets could be a BIG draw-card for tourists if they didn't have to say ,, yuk , so dirty and unhygienic, then sit in a restaurant wondering where their food was bought.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:31 pm
Username Taken wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 pm Street markets add character to the city.
I totally agree with that, but they must be organized so you can walk through them,,, and preferably without wearing your gumboots.

Street markets could be a BIG draw-card for tourists if they didn't have to say ,, yuk , so dirty and unhygienic, then sit in a restaurant wondering where their food was bought.
At least at Orussey a lot of the beef/pork and chicken and all the fish are kept on ice.... but at Phsar Chas and Kandal... nope. I have not got sick from meat from Phsar Chas but I buy it relatively early so it hasn't been sitting out there all morning in 30C. As for restaurants I would hope they buy early and stick it in their fridges.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic