Comedian John Oliver on the Thai coup

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Comedian John Oliver on the Thai coup

Post by Soi Dog »

This guy if hilarious. His HBO show gets better and better. I doubt he will be welcomed to Thailand by the junta any time soon.

I guess you have to click on the links below to watch the clip? I can't get it to play from the inserted clip.

Here is a clip of him railing against royal families in general. He really hammers the heir to the Thai throne (around the 4:10 mark).

Last edited by Soi Dog on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
UKJ
Expatriate

Re: Comedian John Oliver on the Thai coup

Post by UKJ »

Good stuff.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I like him. It's all true too.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I had to google that topless Thai wife birthday party video:

Weird as hell.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

BKL, not available on phone/tablet but saw some screenshots -yeah, wierd.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Enemy #1 for the Junta... comedian John Oliver.

Post by OrangeDragon »

https://news.vice.com/article/thailands ... s-monarchy
The British satirist lampooned the “happiness campaign” launched by General Prayuth Chan-ocha, the military regime's leader, to make Thais feel better about the junta’s crackdown on human rights and freedom of speech. Oliver also described Thailand’s crown prince as “buffoonish” and “an idiot.”

While discussing Thailand's draconian lèse majestè law, which punishes anyone mocking the royal family with three to 15 years in jail, Oliver showed a brief clip from leaked footage of a birthday party beside a swimming pool featuring the crown prince and his wife, who is shown topless. In the footage, the royal couple blow out candles on the birthday cake with their pet poodle Foo Foo, who holds the rank of Air Chief Marshal in the Royal Thai Air Force. The crown prince’s wife is later seen lying on the floor at her husband’s feet, posing with a piece of cake.

“And you’re telling me they’re not supposed to make fun of that?” Oliver asked. “That’s entrapment!”
The absurdity doesn't end there — others named as threats to the stability of the Thai state included Chatwadee “Rose” Amornpat, a 34-year-old Thai woman working as a hairdresser in London who has criticized the monarchy on social media, and Pavin Chachavalpongpun, a well known pro-democracy Thai professor based in Kyoto. Pavin has publicly rejected the junta’s demand that he return to Thailand for “attitude adjustment” in military detention, jokingly offering in a Facebook post to send his pet chihuahua instead.
General Prayuth’s recent happiness campaign involved screening World Cup soccer matches for free on television and throwing street parties where Thais are entertained by scantily-clad dancers and military bands. A patriotic song called “Returning Happiness to the People” — with lyrics allegedly written by the general himself — is played incessantly on television, and singing it daily is compulsory for schoolchildren and army conscripts.
That last one there reminds me of someone else...
The junta has outlawed criticism of its actions. Street protests are banned, as is any political gathering of more than five people. Pro-democracy students mocked these oppressive edicts by holding picnics at which activists sat in small groups eating sandwiches and reading copies of 1984, George Orwell’s famous novel about a totalitarian dystopia. The junta’s reaction was to announce that anyone eating a sandwich “with political intent” faced arrest.
:o
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Enemy #1 for the Junta... comedian John Oliver.

Post by OrangeDragon »

I recommend watching the video... especially around 5:28 where undercover police/soldiers start snatching some students out of a mall and trying to hide the cameras from filming it.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

I started this thread over a month ago. It's just a dozen threads down from this one. :roll:
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... =33&t=1005
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

hahah, good call. i'll merge them.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I had to google that topless Thai wife birthday party video:

Weird as hell.
I'm amazed at how well the British Royals keep their peccadilloes suppressed from the media. 8-)

You aint seen nothing yet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic