Another Cham maid rescued from Saudi Arabia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Another Cham maid rescued from Saudi Arabia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Maid repatriated from Saudi Arabia
12 January 2018
A maid was repatriated from Saudi Arabia yesterday after being trapped there working for 13 years without wages.
The victim, Eng Pov, 38, from Tbong Khum province, said she was sent to Saudi Arabia by the now closed Accept Group Company in 2004.

“When I realised I was working without being paid, I wanted to leave, but my employer did not allow me to leave the house. I could not contact my family for help,” she said. Ms Pov added she managed to escape the house to seek help.
Sa Lokman, 61, Ms Pov’s husband, said he wants the government to intervene to get some form of compensation. “Her employers kept her like a prisoner, she worked for more than ten years without being paid. I didn’t think I would see my wife again in this life,” Mr Lokman said.

Othsman Hassan, secretary of state at the Labour Ministry, said the ministry will investigate the case and seek other missing Cambodians in Saudi Arabia. “She was cheated by a private company, we need to investigate this case further,” he said.

This is the second time a maid was repatriated from Saudi Arabia in less than a year.

In August 2017, Math Sanas, 27, from Kampong Thom province, was repatriated from the Middle Eastern country after working there for 12 years without pay.
Both Ms Pov and Ms Sanas are Cambodian-Muslim, and they were sent to Saudi Arabia by the same company at an early age.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50101657/ma ... di-arabia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram