Walking the Riverside

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Walking the Riverside

Post by Joker Poker »

I frequently walk along the Riverside area as there is almost always something interesting to see and it's one of the few places where you don't constantly get pestered by Tuk-Tuks and Mododops, and, of course, there are no bloody cars to worry about.

Motorcycles? Well that has been another thing. A couple of weeks ago I counted 44 motos parked along the esplanade between Titanic and FCC, no real problem but it makes for a lot of traffic in a pedestrian zone . Then last week one cheeky little shit tooted me as he mistakenly thought that I was in his way while I was walking the paved area near Titanic.

A few days ago I walked from Titanic to the end of the section adjacent to the Royal Palace and counted 110 motos parked along the way and many passed me as I walked along. I began to think that it would only be a matter of time before someone had an accident and wondered what would happen if they did. One complete moron was zooming along the paved section at I'd estimate at least 30mph dangerously close to where I was walking with my son at the time. I hit him with a verbal spray.

Anyway, I've not long just walked the same stretch tonight and there was not a single moto to be seen and down by Titanic there were 3 security dudes who I assume must have been stopping them from entering.

I'm really pleased that someone has done something about this as it just looked like a bug in search of a windscreen. :thumb:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Walking the Riverside

Post by Username Taken »

^^ I wonder if it had anything to do with this afternoon's meeting of HS and SR with the King.

But, usually that stretch of paved riverside is policed pretty well. Maybe it slacked off over recent months.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Username Taken wrote:^^ I wonder if it had anything to do with this afternoon's meeting of HS and SR with the King.

But, usually that stretch of paved riverside is policed pretty well. Maybe it slacked off over recent months.
Definitely slacked off over recent months. I noticed a few with their motos along there a while back and that seemed to snowball fairly rapidly. There is also a fair hobo element along there at times and groups of glue-sniffing kids, plus the odd weirdo or two but they don't seem anywhere near as dangerous as a Khmer on a moto.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Joker Poker wrote:
Username Taken wrote:^^ I wonder if it had anything to do with this afternoon's meeting of HS and SR with the King.

Definitely slacked off over recent months. I noticed a few with their motos along there a while back and that seemed to snowball fairly rapidly. There is also a fair hobo element along there at times and groups of glue-sniffing kids, plus the odd weirdo or two but they don't seem anywhere near as dangerous as a Khmer on a moto.
Actually I'm the "fair hobo" whom you've mentioned. I walk there nearly every night after dinner and I cherish that walk - it's one of my fav features in all of PP. It's very tame before 9 pm and aint nada happened to me for several years walking there.

It's great to see the Khmer enjoying their riverside (95% Khmer are there after all) and just a smattering of clued in barang who know how sweet it is. I love that stretch dearly and all the characters that inhabit it - high, middle and low (like me)...

Walk on...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joker Poker wrote:There is also a fair hobo element along there at times and groups of glue-sniffing kids, plus the odd weirdo or two but they don't seem anywhere near as dangerous as a Khmer on a moto.
At least one of these is off to Saudi Arabia next week, so that should help.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:
Joker Poker wrote:There is also a fair hobo element along there at times and groups of glue-sniffing kids, plus the odd weirdo or two but they don't seem anywhere near as dangerous as a Khmer on a moto.
At least one of these is off to Saudi Arabia next week, so that should help.
Now now...Gonk is one of your staunchest supporters and...desperately in need of conversion...get to work before he splits...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We need bumper stickers: Gonk is a special child!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Went for a walk along the river front with my son this afternoon and I'm pleased to say that there was a group of about 100 people armed with tongs, chop sticks, rubbish bags and brooms picking up all the discarded rubbish along the strip roughly opposite the Riverside Bistro.

I must say, it is great to see people take this initiative (no idea who was behind it), so well done to those concerned. It would be great to see this kind of action catching on here as the problem could be widely reduced if people began to lose face for being irresponsible with "THEIR" rubbish.
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

Yes, who *IS* in charge on the Riverside? Shouldn't we as residents know? And applaud and cajole and plead with?
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Seems to be back to the usual chaos with motos zooming up and down again this evening and one particularly aggressive guy on a quad bike trying to impress everyone down the Titanic end with his new toy. HOPELESS.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic