Is nightlife dying in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cluck Norris
Tourist
Armenia

Re: Is nightlife dying in Cambodia?

Post by Cluck Norris »

The provinces have certainly livened up for young Cambodians, many nightmarkets and safish hangout places to drink. Not most of our cup of tea, but, indeed it's there, only changing.

Who feels old?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

I would say, imho, that there has been a noticable decline in fun to be had in PP., for around the last three years.....just when I left! Coincidence?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

Barang chgout wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:36 pm I would say, imho, that there has been a noticable decline in fun to be had in PP., for around the last three years.....just when I left! Coincidence?

I have to agree with you. This place has gone down the drain. This is the first time in my life I'm calling it a night at 2 or 3 am on friday and saturday two days in a row, that's how bad it is.
I always partied till at least 4-5 am. It's Saturday night in peak season, and it feels like a bad Tuesday night in August.
So I checked out RCA. The place is absolutely dead. There were two groups of khmers standing at tables in the whole disco, they wanted 5 dollars for a beer.
Beliza is closed. Riverside lounge closed. Rooftop is dead, I think they didn't even open the top deck. Places on 278 are dead. Oscar's is the only good place now.
Poontoon wants 8 dollars cover and they're collecting it until 4 am. They're letting in all the prostitutes for free thought, normal people have to pay.
5 dollars w/o a drink, non-negotiable, I tried. f*ck that. I saw other foreigners turning away too, not paying the 8 dollars.
I went to Heart of Darkness, this place used to be exciting full of girls you could talk to, now I feel like I'm in Europe. 90% guys and no girls whatsoever.
I seriously will not go out in Phnom Penh anymore.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

superferret wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:21 am
Barang chgout wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:36 pm I would say, imho, that there has been a noticable decline in fun to be had in PP., for around the last three years.....just when I left! Coincidence?

I have to agree with you. This place has gone down the drain. This is the first time in my life I'm calling it a night at 2 or 3 am on friday and saturday two days in a row, that's how bad it is.
I always partied till at least 4-5 am. It's Saturday night in peak season, and it feels like a bad Tuesday night in August.
So I checked out RCA. The place is absolutely dead. There were two groups of khmers standing at tables in the whole disco, they wanted 5 dollars for a beer.
Beliza is closed. Riverside lounge closed. Rooftop is dead, I think they didn't even open the top deck. Places on 278 are dead. Oscar's is the only good place now.
Poontoon wants 8 dollars cover and they're collecting it until 4 am. They're letting in all the prostitutes for free thought, normal people have to pay.
5 dollars w/o a drink, non-negotiable, I tried. f*ck that. I saw other foreigners turning away too, not paying the 8 dollars.
I went to Heart of Darkness, this place used to be exciting full of girls you could talk to, now I feel like I'm in Europe. 90% guys and no girls whatsoever.
Decline in night life or old age catching up?
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

superferret wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:21 am

Duh. Today is a public holiday. victory over Khmer rouge day. Town is half empty cos Khmer go home at holidays, often its the only time they get off to make the trek back to the village. Chroy Changvar bridge was gridlocked with people leaving last night.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Heart is a gay bar now, is it not? That may explain the 90% guys.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

that genius wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:43 am Heart is a gay bar now, is it not? That may explain the 90% guys.
Been moving that way over the last few years. Street 174 is turning into gay street now. 3 gay bars and a big gay club/apartment/cabaret being built now. maybe heart will turn back straight and give pontoon some competition because pontoon really sux these days. That whole area is suffering because of the redevelopment of golden sorya
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

2018 will see me living in Cambodia for 15 years, a lot has changed and I used to party like a man possessed. I can't decide if nightlife is dying or I've just become an old fart but what I can say is that Phnom Penh is a very different place, neither better or worse, just very different but there sure is a lot of things I miss.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

superferret wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:59 am I've been coming here for 8 years, and this year the changes are shocking.
Both in PP and Sihanoukville nightlife is a shadow of what it used to be. What the hell is going on?
Did you guys notice too?
How the fuck is nightlife dying?

Billions of bars are open, beer is flowing, maybe you're the one dying?
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
chorlton
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by chorlton »

SR is much quieter this weekend
police evicted al the tuk tuk disco bars from the town centre on Friday night
word is HE visited pub street with almost 100 bodyguards on NYE & wasn't impressed with seeing the tuk tuk bars everywhere

gossip is each tuk tuk paid $40 a month to the police & whilst short term they are gone the police are trying to find them all a new location. you never saw any Chinese at the tuk tuks so doesn't fit the new tourist demographic majority I guess.
"Tolerance towards intolerance is cowardice"
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic