Laptop sleeping

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Laptop sleeping

Post by pczz »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:46 pm
Popeye wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm Laptop been on over 1 hour now and still not sleeping after having changed all power options to " never ". So seem that the problem is with the timer in power option. Something for M.S to look at.
What exactly do you want it to do?
You are not green enough. the idea is to save the planet by reducing power consumption. I thibnk its juts an excuse to be lazy. When you aren't using it turn it off. it is also necessary because you can die of old age waiting for windows to boot. THAT is something snoppysoft should look into
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Username Taken wrote:
Popeye wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:39 pm Laptop been on over 1 hour now and still not sleeping after having changed all power options to " never ". So seem that the problem is with the timer in power option. Something for M.S to look at.
It sounds like it's doing exactly what he's telling it to do. If it's set to never sleep, it should never sleep.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

epidemiks wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm
Username Taken wrote:
It sounds like it's doing exactly what he's telling it to do. If it's set to never sleep, it should never sleep.
That's what I thought too. But why does that make it 'something for MS to look at'?
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

I want it to do according to the settings that I set.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Does anyone have or know of a way to remove Windows 10 and install Windows 7 or Linux on a newly-bought laptop? I think there is some kind of UEFI barrier? I read that soem tried it, but it end sup messing with the audio/video drivers/other functions
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Popeye wrote:I want it to do according to the settings that I set.
It is:
Popeye wrote:Laptop been on over 1 hour now and still not sleeping after having changed all power options to " never ". So seem that the problem is with the timer in power option. Something for M.S to look at.
Never means never, so using 'never sleep' and 'never turn off screen' options mean that it will never sleep and never turn off the screen.

Is that not what it is doing?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

that genius wrote:Does anyone have or know of a way to remove Windows 10 and install Windows 7 or Linux on a newly-bought laptop? I think there is some kind of UEFI barrier? I read that soem tried it, but it end sup messing with the audio/video drivers/other functions
Use a uefi supported distribution.

W7 sucked, there is no good reason to go back to it.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 pm W7 sucked, there is no good reason to go back to it.
I haven't used Windows extensively for many years, but I've used Win7, 8.1 and 10 for a few months each, and I found Win7 to be very stable, with all settings and otherwise where I expected it to be. I still use Win7 on my virtual machine whenever I need to run Windows software. What am I missing out on?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

that genius wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 am Does anyone have or know of a way to remove Windows 10 and install Windows 7 or Linux on a newly-bought laptop? I think there is some kind of UEFI barrier? I read that soem tried it, but it end sup messing with the audio/video drivers/other functions
I installed Linux Mint on my laptop after my hard drive died in the arse. Made a bootable USB stick and had to change the BIOS setting to ensure it picked up the stick as first bootable drive. Google it, there is info out there.

This laptop came with Windows 8.1 originally (before I upgraded to 10), but no backup so without having the exact Asus OEM version of 8.1 it was impossible to get Windows back again short of buying it. Crazy. Doing fine with Linux though, Mint is just like Windows anyway. I already had Mint on my emergency backup Netbook because the Win 7 activation key on the label had rubbed off.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

epidemiks wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm
Username Taken wrote:
:thumb: :thumb:

never means never..... :plus1:

Have never had problems with my windows 7, set to never update my original windows copy software.
Only problem i have is, my laptop is now 6 years old and slowwwwwwwww
Does anyone have or know of a way to remove Windows 10 and install Windows 7
Reformat the whole drive after u back up all ur info and make sure u have copies somewhere, ( all my install files are on an external hard drive)of all ur software u want/need
Than set ur partitions an reinstall everything...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic