Garment Factory's

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Garment Factory's

Post by cptrelentless »

that genius wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:05 pm who/ what is H and M?
Heh, they're Swedish...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

KANDAL - At Gawon Apparel Ltd factory, the factory workers have been on strike since December 11, 2017, demanding a minimum wage and better working conditions.
On the morning of January 5, 2018, workers protesting in front of the factory asked Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HE HE and Princess Bun Rany to intervene to find a solution to the labor law for workers. Workers are hoping for a living wage, but the bosses are not paying them enough to live on and support their families.

A spokesperson for the factory said the company are trying to solve the problem, but that company demands were not completely reconciled with the demands from the workers. Negotiations continue.

ImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

that genius wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:05 pm who/ what is H and M?
High street clothing shops in Europe. Very big, as in popular, and of course cheap. Cheap and trendy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%26M
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:32 pm
pczz wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:42 pm
Just to pu that into perspective in 2014 I was offered the wonderful rate of £860 a month in the uk in a 24 hour call centre for 40 hour week. Knock of tax and NI that is about £650.
Hmm, slight exaggeration, personal allowance in 2014/15 was £10,000pa. Your £860 wage is £10,320, so you were liable only for tax & NI on £320pa. Cool story, Bro.
You are right, but i forgot to add the pension contribution.and in the uk you are also taxed on subsidized staff restaurants. I walked when they dropped the pay from 100 because they were offering me a full time position instead of through the agency
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

pczz wrote:
cptrelentless wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:43 pm If in doubt don't use an apostrophe. If they're getting paid the same as a Vietnamese worker then there are going to be a lot of empty factories. From what I see minimum wage in Vn is now $168.
The cleaner in my apartment block now gets $150 a month, which also seems to be the going rate for waitresses in tourist restaurants and girlie bars.
add tips and girlie drinks and its near $200 for 8 hour shift 6 days a week at a certain restaurant on riverside, and $350+ for a hostess who keeps her legs crossed at certain ladybars on 136. I am told on piece work a good worker can get $300 + in some factories with bonus and ovetime.
Just to pu that into perspective in 2014 I was offered the wonderful rate of £860 a month in the uk in a 24 hour call centre for 40 hour week. Knock of tax and NI that is about £650. Rent £200. Cigarettes £12 a packet, beer £3 a pint not to mention car insurance , road tax, mobile charges etc etc. . Considering the cost of living in Cambodia I reckon a lot of Khmer are better off than low paid workers in the west now.
As for hostesses at girlie bars you are exactly right 350 - 450 with tips and lady drinks, and if they spread their legs some have told me they usually make $1000 plus per month. Most rent from the same same place for $100 for a private flat $60 for double flat.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

cigarettes are about £8 a packet, £200 rent? thats nowhere near enough for a month and too much for a week, you can get a room for about £100-£150 a week in london, cheaper anywhere else. You can get a pint for £3 but usually its more like £3 50 and in lots of places in the city £4-£5.

charlie
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:34 pm cigarettes are about £8 a packet, £200 rent? thats nowhere near enough for a month and too much for a week, you can get a room for about £100-£150 a week in london, cheaper anywhere else. You can get a pint for £3 but usually its more like £3 50 and in lots of places in the city £4-£5.

charlie
Depends on your brand. In 2014 the cheapest I could find were £8. Marlborough were £12.
I lived roughly 100 miles from London and going rate including bills for a room with ensuite was £50 a week. This is what I found on web for London starting at £180 a week.
https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/i ... ow_to_high
if you know of cheaper sites please share them for the forum. I wouldn't live there again buit someone else might be interested
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic