Big plans for the riverside... and no more plastic bags....

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Big plans for the riverside... and no more plastic bags....

Post by Jaap N. »

Phnom Penh City Hall yesterday announced plans to build a promenade down the city’s waterfront, picking up where the current riverfront walkway ends around the Chaktomuk theatre and extending some four kilometres south to the Monivong bridge.

Municipality spokesman Long Dimanche said yesterday that while there were no clear plans on when to start, the city was already discussing it with riverfront hotels.

...forbidding supermarkets and convenience stories from giving out plastic bags on weekends.

.....click to read the full article in the Phnom Penh Post.....
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/w ... lans-works

Personally I think it's a great idea to extend the riverside, I love the place, great for an afternoon stroll..
About the plastic bags: a very good initiative, I assume after the weekend ban a total ban will follow, now they pack even the smallest things in a bag, it's silly, really.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Big plans for the riverside... and no more plastic bags.

Post by iluvu »

I hate when my pack of smokes are put in a bag because I always endnup using the bag as a hat, actually I do like the bag now that I think about it.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I like your hat.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

^You seem to be obsessed with hats... :mrgreen:
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

People will have to bring their own bags for shopping. Paper bags are probably pretty worthless considering the dog-sh*t quality of paper in SEA. Let's hope for a complete ban w/Styrofoam included. Breathing burning plastic is one of the banes of my existence here in SHV.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Breathing burning plastic fumes accounts for teh high proportion of ladyboys in Thailand according to some loonies from facebook (maybe).
Endocrine disruption was teh proposition and it went downhill from there fast.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

An excellent idea!

I came across this from 2008, which made me laugh:

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... y-not-sale

Oh yes it, is, and so is the country. Get used to it.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

vladimir wrote:An excellent idea!

I came across this from 2008, which made me laugh:

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/c ... y-not-sale

Oh yes it, is, and so is the country. Get used to it.
Yes,big difference between ideas and reality - idea(lism) from 2008 and actual situation today.

Quote PPP:

"Without appropriately planning to cope with such a growth in traffic, Phnom Penh will become a place where outdoor pollution is increasingly a concern. The Pearl Plan was well-aware of these issues. It integrated the interaction between land use, transportation and environmental planning into the existing elements of the city, hoping that Phnom Penh would become more livable. We wanted to make sure that the development of Phnom Penh today would not compromise the city for the generation of tomorrow. "

Unfortunately, PP is still waiting for some "planning"...

That said: yes, stop the plastic bags at least. Why not? (No more ladyboys ??? WTF - so much plastic is being burnt every day that we should all be ladyboys in that case. :Yahoo!: )
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Instead of a tourist walk how about a working citywide municipal bus system.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Sailorman wrote:Instead of a tourist walk how about a working citywide municipal bus system.
Dude, you just used a very offensive word, you had better hope no khmers are reading this.

'Working'?

wtf is wrong with you?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic