FOR SALE: Khmer440.com [SOLD!]

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: FOR SALE: Khmer440.com

Post by Soi Dog »

Joon wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:Better yet, move all K440 related threads to the VIP section, so each person has to specifically request for access to read those posts. :thumb:
So much for transparency. I think that sums you up well.
It has fuck-all to do with transparency. You (and a couple others )REPEATEDLY go to the same 2 threads dedicated to K440 and make the same comments on how the boring and lame any fixation with that forum is, and how wee should all move on as you find it annoying/offensive or whatever.

You are repeating yourself so I will repeat myself. If I personally had negative issues with threads about ducks and geese, it would be highly dubious of me to consistently go specifically to the Barnyard section, and repeatedly go to the handful of threads with "ducks and geese" in the title, for the sole purpose of complaining about how lame and pathetic and boring all the comments about ducks and geese are. You go out of your way to read those K440 threads for the sole purpose of complaining about how lame the comments are. When I just suggested an option for making those particular threads slightly less accessible, so that anyone reading them had to actively seek them out, you howl about lack of transparency.

Now go to K440 and try to list half a dozen links to CEO threads in one of your posts and see how far you get.
Last edited by Soi Dog on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

JBTrain wrote: I'll tell you why. I'm interested in local politics and serious issues impacting Cambodia. That has not been an important focus of CEO. Example, the Freedom Park thread on 440 has 400 posts, the three related threads on CEO have a total of 52.
It's a NEW forum with just over 300 members. Fucking hell.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Soi Dog wrote:
JBTrain wrote: I'll tell you why. I'm interested in local politics and serious issues impacting Cambodia. That has not been an important focus of CEO. Example, the Freedom Park thread on 440 has 400 posts, the three related threads on CEO have a total of 52.
It's a NEW forum with just over 300 members. Fucking hell.
Sorry I thought CEO was kicking 440s ass. As for this thread, the OP is about the sale of 440 which is an interesting news item worthy of discussion and update which is why I check it. If this is official 440 bashing thread perhaps the thread can be retitled. The two dedicated 440 threads, with 1100 posts are by far the most active threads on this board. You may think that's great, I don't .
Using Tapatalk
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

To be honest I find most political threads on K440 to be a rehash of past threads we've had in previous years. I actually like political threads a lot and I've voiced myself in them before (with much more accurate predictions than many whos opinion seems to be worshipped in the case of election threads), but after having a quick glance at the ones which pop up now and then on K440, I can't help but feel they seem to be a bit boring as they're reruns of old ones. Same old people restating the same old opinions... So I don't feel the need to contribute. I mean sure, news is good. But it always becomes a redux with the same arguments being stated from both sides: "CPP is good/sucks, CRNP is good/sucks". I never used to feel this way when I participated, but taking a step back, it does often come off as a self-congratulating circle jerk.

This isn't specifically related to K440 though. I've seen it elsewhere as well. It's like gun control debates which always boil down to the same opposing views which will never agree with each other, along with another group "down the middle". But after being on K440 (or should I say Cambodian forums) for over 5 years, I feel we've/they've come full circle on many issues. I'm a bit bored with forums in general to be honest. Maybe it's just me.

Either way I think Soi Dog's idea is good. Taking them off the Tapatalk bump list would allow for different content to be promoted. People would still be able to access the threads though, so I don't see how it would be censorship.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

You may want to read the latest contributions to the thread that I linked in an earlier post.
Jacked Camry, Cambodian, Red Dragon, AiA, SCC, Felgerkarb, LTO, JM and myself have all chipped in and gave more interesting insights than just "CPP vs CNRP."
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:To be honest I find most political threads on K440 to be a rehash of past threads we've had in previous years. I actually like political threads a lot and I've voiced myself in them before (with much more accurate predictions than many whos opinion seems to be worshipped in the case of election threads), but after having a quick glance at the ones which pop up now and then on K440, I can't help but feel they seem to be a bit boring as they're reruns of old ones. Same old people restating the same old opinions... So I don't feel the need to contribute. I mean sure, news is good. But it always becomes a redux with the same arguments being stated from both sides: "CPP is good/sucks, CRNP is good/sucks". I never used to feel this way when I participated, but taking a step back, it does often come off as a self-congratulating circle jerk.

This isn't specifically related to K440 though. I've seen it elsewhere as well. It's like gun control debates which always boil down to the same opposing views which will never agree with each other, along with another group "down the middle". But after being on K440 (or should I say Cambodian forums) for over 5 years, I feel we've/they've come full circle on many issues. I'm a bit bored with forums in general to be honest. Maybe it's just me.

Either way I think Soi Dog's idea is good. Taking them off the Tapatalk bump list would allow for different content to be promoted. People would still be able to access the threads though, so I don't see how it would be censorship.
I understand that. I don't expect everyone to share the same interests, but was simply responding to Soi Dog. As CEO grows perhaps/hopefully there will be more of interest for me.
Using Tapatalk
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I have. Well, I did yesterday. They're all opinions which were voiced before by a variety of people (including myself) in the past. Saying both parties are bad for Cambodia or that Cambodia needs a third alternative isn't exactly new or ground breaking as far as opinions go. I voiced the same during the past elections (as did many others). I wasn't a K440 member for the ones before that though. I've also heard the same opinions being said over beers in the past as well. I'll check again when I get back from my lazy exercise session at the gym, but when I last checked (only read 2-3 pages) I didn't see anything "new" or "exciting". Mostly people congratulating themselves for seeking the "middle-ground". And I don't mean that in a bad way for those involved in the discussion. It's just that I've/we've all heard it before. I even know beforehand what certain members will say. I think I might just be "Internet-discussioned" out.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
HotRecruiter
Expatriate

Post by HotRecruiter »

Born Confused - still confused.

K440 is quiet as heck now! Boring.

CEO for a new upstart website is doing astoundingly well, AND pressured KiR out of business! That alone is good for Cambodia's expats.

K440 needed a shake up, they were sitting on their laurels and insulting others.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I have. Well, I did yesterday. They're all opinions which were voiced before by a variety of people (including myself) in the past. Saying both parties are bad for Cambodia or that Cambodia needs a third alternative isn't exactly new or ground breaking as far as opinions go. I voiced the same during the past elections (as did many others). I wasn't a K440 member for the ones before that though. I've also heard the same opinions being said over beers in the past as well. I'll check again when I get back from my lazy exercise session at the gym, but when I last checked (only read 2-3 pages) I didn't see anything "new" or "exciting". Mostly people congratulating themselves for seeking the "middle-ground". And I don't mean that in a bad way for those involved in the discussion. It's just that I've/we've all heard it before. I even know beforehand what certain members will say. I think I might just be "Internet-discussioned" out.
You might have gotten jaded and I don't blame you.
I've been here for 10 years and campaigned (indirectly) for the SRP back in 2003 before being disappointed and jaded as well. The political history of Cambodia does seem to repeat itself but I personally have a bit more hope that there is a real potential for changes to come in the current situation.
Going a bit on a tangent on this specific thread though, so I'd just maybe invite you to look at the current situation (and by extension discussion) with refreshed eyes.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Sambo
Tourist

Post by Sambo »

Sambo here from the 'other site' - I just wanted to comment on OD's post regarding visitor statistics. He is absolutely correct in saying that there was duplicate JS code on the forum pages. I suspect the second snippet of code made it into the production environment after I had been modifying the phpBB templates and moved the GA code from the footer to the header (as Google suggests). In doing so, I must not have pushed the footer code live. This was an error on my part - and certainly in no way a method for increasing the number of page views. In fact, before the snapshot of statistics was posted last month, no one besides myself and KiR had seen any of those numbers.

If anyone is interested, here is what I found in terms of the effect of the duplicate code with respect to the numbers in the spreadsheet:

Data which was correctly reported:
  • - Unique Visitors
    - Visits
    - Avg time on site
    - New Visitors %
    - Forum Posts
    - Forum Topics
    - Thread starters
    - Posters
Data which was incorrectly reported:
  • - Page Views
    - Pages Per Visit
    - Bounce Rate
Adjusted numbers:
  • Page Views - 60% of the number reported.
    In May, we reported 1,991,216 page views. This should be 1,194,729 page views.

Pages Per Visit - 60% of the number reported.
    In May, we reported 14.24 pages per visit. This should be 8.54 pages per visit.

Bounce rate - 1.8 times the number reported.
    In May, we reported a bounce rate of 17.54%. This should be 31.57%.
It is worth noting that the duplicate code was not present on all pages, which is why the adjusted page views and the pages per visit wouldn't be half of the number reported - and why the adjusted bounce rate isn't double the number reported.

Looking at the historical statistics, it looks like the duplicate GA code made its way into the system in Aug/Sept 2011. That is where the bounce rate went down to a ridiculously low level (8.37%), the pages per visit went up about 60% and we saw a jump of about 50% in page views.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic