I need a piece of tin...

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

I need a piece of tin...

Post by soup »

Some schmuck lifted my plate and they cost about 120usd to replace. I need a piece of tin... Do you know of a spot?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: I need a piece of tin...

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Who told you they cost $120?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

soup wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:19 pm Some schmuck lifted my plate and they cost about 120usd to replace. I need a piece of tin... Do you know of a spot?
Translation anyone?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Number plate?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

if it is a numberplate and its for a big bike or car it could easily cost $120 to get one quickly through an agent. Think it takes at least a month and you have to go to the same place you get your driving license with the original documnents for them to check vin numbers and make sure tax was paid. No idea what the official fee is now but I paid $30 for a new 250cc and it took 4 weeks. A bit of tin will not help. If you look carefully at a number pate on a bike it has little official marks on the rivets. i was toild by a dealer to make sure the proper rivets were holding the number plate on otherwise the plate may be fake, and it is something the police check when they are looking for stolen vehicles. Unlikely to be a problem in daily use unless you hit a checkpoint or have an accident. Fake plates can be bought in the big bike selling area around Depot market. The area stretches from mao to street 271 south of depot
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:41 pm Who told you they cost $120?
The lady at Lucky, but I'm sure she was trying to make a margin. If there is a cheaper, legit way, I'll do it straight.
soup
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by soup »

pczz wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:47 pm if it is a numberplate and its for a big bike or car it could easily cost $120 to get one quickly through an agent. Think it takes at least a month and you have to go to the same place you get your driving license with the original documnents for them to check vin numbers and make sure tax was paid. No idea what the official fee is now but I paid $30 for a new 250cc and it took 4 weeks. A bit of tin will not help. If you look carefully at a number pate on a bike it has little official marks on the rivets. i was toild by a dealer to make sure the proper rivets were holding the number plate on otherwise the plate may be fake, and it is something the police check when they are looking for stolen vehicles. Unlikely to be a problem in daily use unless you hit a checkpoint or have an accident. Fake plates can be bought in the big bike selling area around Depot market. The area stretches from mao to street 271 south of depot
The answer I was looking for. Thanks! Do know the price?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

soup wrote:
pczz wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:47 pm if it is a numberplate and its for a big bike or car it could easily cost $120 to get one quickly through an agent. Think it takes at least a month and you have to go to the same place you get your driving license with the original documnents for them to check vin numbers and make sure tax was paid. No idea what the official fee is now but I paid $30 for a new 250cc and it took 4 weeks. A bit of tin will not help. If you look carefully at a number pate on a bike it has little official marks on the rivets. i was toild by a dealer to make sure the proper rivets were holding the number plate on otherwise the plate may be fake, and it is something the police check when they are looking for stolen vehicles. Unlikely to be a problem in daily use unless you hit a checkpoint or have an accident. Fake plates can be bought in the big bike selling area around Depot market. The area stretches from mao to street 271 south of depot
It was $45 a few years ago at the old office, including a fixer and some cold drinks to register (card) and plate a 125cc in my name. Take all your reg card, bill of sale and other papers for the bike to the General Department Of Public Work and Transport (https://goo.gl/maps/45pzbNxAyL32) negotiate with a fixer out the front to replace a stolen plate, grab an iced coffee and wait for an hour or two.

Might need two trips. First to lodge papers, a month later to get the plate and card. Used to take that long.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

epidemiks wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 pm
soup wrote:
It was $45 a few years ago at the old office, including a fixer and some cold drinks to register (card) and plate a 125cc in my name. Take all your reg card, bill of sale and other papers for the bike to the General Department Of Public Work and Transport (https://goo.gl/maps/45pzbNxAyL32) negotiate with a fixer out the front to replace a stolen plate, grab an iced coffee and wait for an hour or two.

Might need two trips. First to lodge papers, a month later to get the plate and card. Used to take that long.
When I went there for my new driving license a few weeks ago there were no fixers. they are not allowed anymore. One of the fixers who used to do it before was hanging around in the lobby and helping people fill in forms and telling them which counters to go to but that was the limit of the amount of help they could offer. It was a lady who runs a business under the name of Call Kim. Take a translater with you because most of them do not speak much English and expect to be there at least half a day. I arrived at 8 for my driving license and it took near 4 hours altogether
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

pczz wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 pm
soup wrote:

When I went there for my new driving license a few weeks ago there were no fixers. they are not allowed anymore. One of the fixers who used to do it before was hanging around in the lobby and helping people fill in forms and telling them which counters to go to but that was the limit of the amount of help they could offer. It was a lady who runs a business under the name of Call Kim. Take a translater with you because most of them do not speak much English and expect to be there at least half a day. I arrived at 8 for my driving license and it took near 4 hours altogether
Driving licences might be different.

I changed over registration on my car in September and the entire street out the front was filled with fixers. I sat in the car while they did the work and drove away with the completed papers an hour later. I went back to renew my licence a month later and they were still on the street before the entrance.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic