Education about traffic lights - SNV

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Education about traffic lights - SNV

Post by that genius »

What the?

They forgot the flashing light...if the guy is still alive after you hit him, reverse over him
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Duncan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:25 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:39 pm This lovely young lady was part of a large group of kids near Samudera yesterday - they were stopping the traffic at the red lights and abusing anyone who drove through on the red.
It was awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, they have been doing it for years in PP anyway. And it's surprising how many cars and moto's take notice of them considering they have no power or authority in regarding the law . Never seen any of them speaking to motorists, just waving them back with their flag if anyone stops on the pedestrian crossing.
Ah, if they're CRC (Cambodian Red Cross), they are Bun Rany's girls. You know, the big guy's wife? They work for her.

And I think they're properly trained to deal with traffic, as far as I've seen. Noticeable, but non-intrusive?

They stand on the corner, in white uniforms accented with red. Sometimes they wave a red flag? So, they're noticeable with a sign with whatever message they are sending at the time. I don't know, blood drives or traffic safety?

Anyhoo, I think they're fine.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:39 pm This lovely young lady was part of a large group of kids near Samudera yesterday - they were stopping the traffic at the red lights and abusing anyone who drove through on the red.
It was awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How exactly does that work? If they haven already driven through the red light are they not on their way elsewhere?
Confused I is.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:41 pm Image

WTF does 'go safe' mean? I've been driving for fourty-five years thinking an amber light meant be prepared to stop.
You could be next.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Proceed with caution.

The way I see it, just "go with the flow" - of traffic. If all are stopped, stop. If plenty are passing, pass.

(Traffic patterns are changing, however, so be more cautious than before.)

It's the will of the people, the way I see it.

In Thailand, they MADE IT LAW in some places in Bangkok to have 3 lanes (out of 4) going one way in the morning, then THE OPPOSITE 3 lanes going THE OTHER WAY in the afternoon.

Mind boggling, isn't it? NO, it's just common sense, you dopes.

"The spillover effect" seen during rush hour was dutifully written into traffic law to reflect the driving needs of the people.

Here, they're just not that advanced yet. But they rely on people having basic common sense and common courtesy.

Using the cute CRC girls to shame / remind people to stop being so selfish is a good move, as people in general regularly need reminders.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic