What makes a Kick Ass games centre?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: What makes a Kick Ass games centre?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

LaudJohn wrote:I love the way people make an assumption then give totally unneeded advice, but thanks anyway. I shows genuine concern.

I am not opening a game centre per se as a business.

I just want a room where kids can have a great time occupying themselves whilst their parents have a quiet drink or swim or whatever.

So thanks for the advice on my inability to run a games centre, I appreciate your concern but it is a little bit off the mark.
LOL, then why didn't you just say it in the first place...? Was it so hard? Wouldn't that have made all our lives easier and not wasted people's time? Cambodia is full of inept self-proclaimed businessmen so you certainly wouldn't have been the first to foolishly do something like this as a full-fledged business. Can't really blame me for assuming the worst. It used to be commonplace, though Cambodia now attracts a lot of professional businessmen now. Anyways LD, good luck. I won't give too much advice regarding games/music/tv series because you're still intentionally keeping us in the dark about who your target kids are (foreigners or Khmers). The logistics of setting up a small game room like that are pretty straightforward though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:LOL, then why didn't you just say it in the first place...? Was it so hard? Wouldn't that have made all our lives easier and not wasted people's time?
Mm. This.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Digg3r wrote: Plex media server is free. 2012 and newer Samsung tv's have a native client app. Otherwise can use any android tv dongle or raspberry pi as a cheap client.

As for network security, you would definitely have the gaming servers on their own network/vlan. But most games, provided they are updated regularly don't have any particular and significant vulnerabilities.
Yeah, that plex system is great for in your house... not that great for making a nice user interface to guests who come from 1st world countries and expect a simple guide+remote system in their hotel rooms.

Just got confirmation that EZcomm is going to be bringing in some IPTV offerings soon, a system that could latch into that and offer HotelTV with a guide would be choice. You then pre-install the games on the "box" with some controllers hooked up and let the guide system be what launches them.

To give an idea, I have an LG Smart Tv that connects to Plex as well, and a Plex server. I never use them. It's actually less hassle to walk over to my PC, copy the file to a usb stick, and walk to the TV and plug it in. The Plex system and the smart TV clients are not very user friendly at all.
Admittedly the plex client on LG is pretty bad. It's only on the 2011 models. I also have one but I don't use it. I use a 3rd party plex client on my Roku 3 as well as the android app on my tablet.

Given all the (semi) legal subscriptions I have I rarely use plex anyway and just stream from the source.

By the way, if you need any subscriptions for any of the following let me know. Please note they will require use of a vpn or smartdns. They are one off payments not monthly subscriptions.

HBO GO with DirecTV ~ $30

(Includes Showtime Anytime, Starz Play, Encore Play, Max Go, + MUCH MORE!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTS

WatchESPN ~ $30

NBA LeaguePass ~ $30

NHL GameCenter Live ~ $30

NFL Sunday Ticket MAX ~ $30

WWE Network ~ $30

UFC FightPass ~$30

MLB.TV ~ $30

BTSports ~ $30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live TV

DirecTV ~ $30

Verizon ~ $30

USTVNOW ~ $30

Comcast Xfinity ~ $30

Time Warner Cable ~ $30

DishWorld ~ $30

YuppTV ~ $30

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music

Spotify Premium ~ $30

Beats Music ~ $30

Rdio Premium, music streaming - $30

Rhapsody Premier Plus, music streaming - $30

Deezer Premium, music streaming - $30

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CrunchyRoll, anime – $30

StudyMode Premium – $30

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Uploaded.net Premium – $30

RapidGator.net Premium – $30
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

StroppyChops wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:LOL, then why didn't you just say it in the first place...? Was it so hard? Wouldn't that have made all our lives easier and not wasted people's time?
Mm. This.

mmm No.

I asked a simple question. My motivation or plan for the information is really immaterial to the question asked.

Way too many people read too much into a simple question.

Business advice in Cambodia is about the last thing I need, I usually am sought out to give it to people.

But thanks for caring anyways.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

LOL yeah ok LJ. Well now you're really taking the piss... You think the advice given in relation to a question doesn't vary according the specific intent? People give advice based on the information given...

"Hey guys, I want help designing a bar. What equipment would I need to open a bar? :-)"

"Depending on square footage and seating capacity, you would need several adjusted temperature refrigerators, a wine cooler, holes for draft equipment, electrical sockets in key locations, a stock room, blah blah blah"

"Oh, it's for a small bar in my basement."

Yeah, answers won't vary...

/Facepalm

And yes, the fact that answers would vary depending on the intent means we do care. Image
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Ok, now we move onto screens/projections.

I was in a house today and in the master bedroom the guy had a Benq data projector playing TV onto a screen. It gave a picture equivalent to about a 65 inch TV - set pretty close to the screen. The picture looked fine to me, I would be happy watching it as a TV. It only cost about $A600 from office works and he had been using it a lot for 3 years.

So I was thinking that this may be suitable for a multi terminal multi player computer game and for the PS3 and Wii. I could have 3 of them going on the walls of this room (which is roughly 6m by 4m), with sound through headphones.

Would this work OK?, it would be way cheaper than a large LED LCD TV and I could probably get it to around 100 inches.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Not answering your specific question, but might be of interest. Proper projection screens have a layer of embedded crystals to give that really good high definition image. OHP screens or painted walls just don't cut it.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

StroppyChops wrote:Not answering your specific question, but might be of interest. Proper projection screens have a layer of embedded crystals to give that really good high definition image. OHP screens or painted walls just don't cut it.

Indeed it is of interest, thanks for that tit bit.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The have higher reflectivity.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Cheap projectors won't cut it for high speed, high resolution (1080p or higher) gaming. Lag and ghosting. What's the maximum resolution of the projector anyway. Most games are designed for minimum of 1080p or they'll look shit.

Plus the globes need replacing which you will no doubt have to ship in.

Get a decent led monitor or tv. Cheap and no one would expect anything else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic