Cambodia mobile operators urged to steer clear of price war

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

Three related articles today. Will post the other two in their own threads.

Cambodia mobile operators urged to steer clear of price war,

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30335059

ASEAN+December 30, 2017 01:00 By THE PHNOM PENH POST

ASIA NEWS NETWORK

PHNOM PENH

AFTER a year of toothless warnings against below-cost mobile deals – which it previously called suspicious and unfair – Cambodia’s telecommunications regulator has capitulated. Instead, it is beseeching operators to steer clear of confusing marketing and maintain the quality of their services.The Telecommunication Regulator of Cambodia (TRC) will no longer attempt to intervene in what was earlier dubbed an “epic price war” between mobile network operators, it said, explaining that users were benefitting from lower prices. Im Vutha, TRC spokesman, said the situation was under control – even if the same deals persisted – and providing benefits to the public. “If there is a sign that one operator is dominating the market and could potentially lead the market exclusively, we will intervene,” Vutha said, adding that currently all operators were able to run their businesses profitably.

“So far, the lower cost of internet services being provided by telecom operators has been a benefit for other sectors, like payment services, financial services, e-commerce and online shopping,” he said. Early this year, competition between the sector’s bigger players – notably Smart Axiata and CamGSM’s Cellcard – saw the launch of promotional packages allowing subscribers to exchange $1 for more than $100 worth of on-network data, calls and messaging services. The TRC said at the time that the “unfair pricing” was preventing new entrants from being able to cover their costs.

Vutha said the regulator’s priority had turned to increasing public awareness about the possible consequences of a price war. As operators compete on price, Vutha observed, service quality can become poorer. TRC officials had been receiving complaints from the public about poor service, and confusing promotions that have caused subscribers to lose money on their accounts, he said. Chhin Sreynet, a 27-year-old snack vendor in Phnom Penh, said she enjoyed the benefits of the promotional deals, and spent no more than US$5 per month for all her calls and data. “It’s much cheaper than several years ago,” she said. “Now, I don’t need to ask for WiFi passwords when hanging out at shops or restaurants, because the internet package I have is enough.” Teng Sokha, a 55-year-old sugarcane juice vendor, however, said she does not use the internet and had lost money on her account after refilling it because it was connected to a promotion that he had not intended to subscribe to. “Sometimes I refill my account for $5, but I only see $3 left,” he said.

Ian Watson, chief executive officer Cellcard operator CamGSM, said he welcomed the TRC alert, agreeing that it was important to take a holistic view of the market and assess plans and promos on whether they were being communicated transparently. “I can assure you that at Cellcard we do not deduct any balance without the customer subscribing to a service,” he said, adding that if there is any question about subscriptions, users can check with the company’s contact centre to clarify.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

TRC are one of the most spineless ministries in this country.

This “ruling” is also in direct violation of the recently passed telecom law (unless this “ruling” is passed as an official prakas).

Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Cambodia mobile operators urged to steer clear of price war

Post by Abc123 »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:02 pm TRC are one of the most spineless ministries in this country.

This “ruling” is also in direct violation of the recently passed telecom law (unless this “ruling” is passed as an official prakas).
Not spineless I don't think. More likely connected. Pushing for a monopoly no doubt. You only need two mobile operators to appear to be legitimate.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

$2 a week for 10GB data on Smart is pretty damn good. When I'm not away from home $1 for 1GB is more than enough, I barely put a dent in it.

I wish they wouldn't use such meaningless terms as $1=$333 or $1=$500 though. But that's always been the way mobile providers work, obfuscate everything so your plan sounds better, even if it's not.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:02 pm TRC are one of the most spineless ministries in this country.

You'd know better than me, but look at the owners of the companies they have to deal with - Cellcard, Smart, Metfone. :assasin:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:15 pm $2 a week for 10GB data on Smart is pretty damn good. When I'm not away from home $1 for 1GB is more than enough, I barely put a dent in it.

I wish they wouldn't use such meaningless terms as $1=$333 or $1=$500 though. But that's always been the way mobile providers work, obfuscate everything so your plan sounds better, even if it's not.
Yeah, but when you change your $1 for 1 million dollars, don't you have only 7 days to use it all?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Hahaha, after they ignored a directive, I'm sure an appeal with bring results
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:21 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:15 pm $2 a week for 10GB data on Smart is pretty damn good. When I'm not away from home $1 for 1GB is more than enough, I barely put a dent in it.

Yeah, but when you change your $1 for 1 million dollars, don't you have only 7 days to use it all?
Yes it's too bad if you only used half, you can't ask for a $500k refund.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

It doesn't make their plans sound better. It only makes it more difficult for the customers to shop around.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

How does a price war make it difficult for customers to shop around?

Don't price wars totally benefit consumers?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic