Cadillac's $5 Friday is a Total Rip-Off

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Cadillac's $5 Friday is a Total Rip-Off

Post by General Mackevili »

Myself and 2 buddies went there recently to check out their "$5 Fridays" special. It was a total joke.

On Friday, every food item is supposed to be only $5. Sounds like a great deal, considering their menu has items that are $10+.

First, the pork chop and "ribs" came out. We all looked at each other and started laughing! What a joke! They were barely worth $5, if that, and a COMPLETE ripoff if we had paid $10.

(He might have already eaten a few fries by the time I was able to stop laughing and take a picture.)

As we're sitting there laughing at what a joke this was, the owner comes buy. Seemed cool, but that doesn't change the fact that he has just ripped us off.

"Ha! I'm really sorry about that," he says, "you got a really small pork chop! Wow."

My buddies already decided earlier we wouldn't ask, but now was my chance...

"Are your portions the same size for your $5 Fridays as they are the rest of the week?" I asked.

"Yes. We don't make them smaller on Friday. Always the same size. Again, sorry for the tiny pork chop," was his answer.

At this stage I'm wondering what this friendly owner will do to make up for the small portions, and we haven't even mentioned the toothpick fries, LoL. I'm fantasizing about a round of free shots, or maybe another microscopic pork chop for my hungry friend.

Nothing. He walks away, never to be heard from again regarding the matter. Seemed like a, "I admit and acknowledge I ripped you off, so sorry, but I'm not sorry enough to do ANYTHING about it."

About 10 minutes later we start to worry that maybe they forgot about my chicken parmesan. As soon as we say something it's already on its way!

It looked legit for $5, but still a joke if one were to pay full price.

That's it. I can't recommend The Cadillac $5 Friday special, and if the owner is being honest and the sizes are the same the rest of the week, I can't recommend The Cadillac any other day of the week either.

The ownership has reportedly changed, so maybe that's the reason for such disappointment. They place used to have the reputation for HUGE portions, but no more.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Cadillac's $5 Friday is a Total Rip-Off

Post by StroppyChops »

Wow, that's... inadequate.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Khmer places serve like a dozen ribs for half that don't they? Clearly it's not the cost of pork.

Wonder if this will end up being our $19 chicken sandwich thread... rofl.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

No, it would not be the cost of pork................but Khmer places are not paying riverside rents.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

The chicken parm serving looks more reasonable for $5. The tiny serving of fries with the ribs should cause some embarrassment, though.
iluvu
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by iluvu »

There's usually more fries that fall out of the container than that when you get a meal to go back home :(
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Soi Dog wrote:The chicken parm serving looks more reasonable for $5. The tiny serving of fries with the ribs should cause some embarrassment, though.
Yeah, if I had gotten that somewhere for $5, I would have been cool with it, but I wouldn't have been like, "Damn! This is a $10 plate! What a deal! !"

And for comparison, I ate at LoneStar today (shameless plug).

This ain't no "Friday special" either, it's on the regular menu everyday for $7.

It's obviously rib-central for Phnom Penh, as 2 other patrons were digging in.

Sometimes I can finish it, but not today. 2 sides of your choice. I got fried okra and coleslaw.

Falling off the fucking bone! ! That's what you should get when you order "ribs" at a western restaurant.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Lonestar rules.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Wow that's laughable... Please tell me you guys had eaten a few fries before snapping the picture?! Thanks for the heads up. Definately won't be going there, ever. As previously mentioned the chicken parmesan looks decent for the price but everything else isn't a pass for 5$. And full price?!? It's amazing they get any customers. I know a guy who writes for the Lonely Planet, maybe I should tell him to drop by and see if it's time for an update? ;-) I've amazingly only been in there ONCE (for drinks). Definately won't be back. I understand their rent is high, but surely the owner can try to make it up with presentation or something... A small side dish, potatoes or something which fills the patron up and gives him the impression he's getting value for his money.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

I've never been to the place and this surely doesn't help to let that happen; the plates look laughable. These are supposed to be $10 plates The chicken parmesan doesn't look bad, but that is definitely no $10 plate either. The owner should be ashamed of himself, admitting the porkchops are tiny and then just walk away. I wonder how long this place will stay in business, with the present owner at the helm, I mean. He clearly doesn't give a f*ck about his customers, imo.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic