Damaged passport & transferring visa

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Damaged passport & transferring visa

Post by pczz »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:32 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:30 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:17 pm The exit stamp is supposed to be free for khmer with dual nationality but I have no idea what the fee is for a foreigner.
An exit visa is $25, the stamp is free.
This... Oh, and the Exit Visa is officially only $20.
Sorry but I don't think you quite understand the situation.
Johnny is half Khmer and half English.
he lives in Cambodia with mum
we got him an English passport to fly to England so he needs to leave on his English passport
because his English passport has never been used, it has no entry stamp.
The embassy told us to go to immigration at the airport. they put the stamp in his passport so he can leave using that passport.
On his return to Cambodia immigration at the airport put a K vis into his English passport and he doesnt' need a Cambodian passport at all.
I am gonna be seriously pissed off if you are right and the embassy and immigration fed me bullshit because it tooka lot of time getting the docs together and $70, but I don't think checkin or immigration at pp would have let him board without something in the English passport and I doubt Bangkok would have let him in without some sort of exit stamp
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

we got him an English passport to fly to England so he needs to leave on his English passport
OK;
Cant u get him a Khmer passport?

not sure if this applies in Cambodia but my daughter has dual nationality,Thai an American
she got her US passport and thai passport in Thailand when she was18 months old.
When she first left Thailand, we showed her US passport at check in for the airlines ( so she wouldn't need show a us visa) than when we left at immigration showed her new unused thai passport and she was stamped out.
not sure why ur situation would be any different. NO exit visa on his Cambodian NEW passport needed.
same as when any Khmer first travels, get a passport and leave, stamped out at immigration (FREE)
I doubt Bangkok would have let him in without some sort of exit stamp
Flying INTO Thailand, immigration NEVER checks for an exit stamp from any previous country, ( they don't know where u came from ) ONLY land borders do they check for an exit stamp before allowing u in.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Does this help? ask-the-expats-questions-answers/exit-v ... t3151.html

Note: the price is now $20 not $25 as quoted in the link.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

pczz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:49 pm
pczz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:17 pm The exit stamp is supposed to be free for khmer with dual nationality but I have no idea what the fee is for a foreigner.
The embassy told us to go to immigration at the airport. they put the stamp in his passport so he can leave using that passport.
On his return to Cambodia immigration at the airport put a K vis into his English passport and he doesnt' need a Cambodian passport at all.
I am gonna be seriously pissed off if you are right and the embassy and immigration fed me bullshit because it tooka lot of time getting the docs together and $70, but I don't think checkin or immigration at pp would have let him board without something in the English passport and I doubt Bangkok would have let him in without some sort of exit stamp
I understand the situation perfectly.

It should have been a full page Exit Visa...not just an Exit Stamp. Exit stamps are stamped into your passport when you pass through the immigration control departing the country.

Makes no difference whether the kid is a half caste or not, the passport is Foreign, did not have a valid visa as the child was born here, therefore an Exit VISA was required. The official fee for the Exit visa is $20 for EVERYONE, process time is 1-3 business days and is valid for 1 week only.

K-type visa is gratis (I hope you didn’t pay for that one?) and is valid for life, although when little Johnny gets a new English passport it will need to be transferred.

I would highly recommend little Johnny still gets a Cambodian passport, silly not to.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:01 pm
pczz wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:49 pm
I understand the situation perfectly.

It should have been a full page Exit Visa...not just an Exit Stamp. Exit stamps are stamped into your passport when you pass through the immigration control departing the country.

Makes no difference whether the kid is a half caste or not, the passport is Foreign, did not have a valid visa as the child was born here, therefore an Exit VISA was required. The official fee for the Exit visa is $20 for EVERYONE, process time is 1-3 business days and is valid for 1 week only.

K-type visa is gratis (I hope you didn’t pay for that one?) and is valid for life, although when little Johnny gets a new English passport it will need to be transferred.

I would highly recommend little Johnny still gets a Cambodian passport, silly not to.
Yes it was an exit visa, not a stamp. Little johnny has a Cambodian passport but we were told by Turkish airlines that he would have to board the flight in Bangkok with a European passport. if he used his Cambodian passporthe would have had a he would have to have a Schengen visa in it. they would not let him board with a british passport that did not have a valid entry stamp for Thailand, even though he was carrying a british passport. All in all was easier to use british passport all through. it seems airlines have their own rules because they are the ones who have to pay for the return flight if he cannot get through immigration.
No we did not pay for the k-visa. We did however have a lot of grief from airlines because he was travelling with only one parent. immigration in Europe did not bat an eyelid. His permission to travel, document signed by dad was required at airline check in twice, but they never asked for it in immigration at any airport. For most places little johnny will be travellingto his british passport is better. For travel to Eu at the moment his mum gets a free visa issued in 3 days because he is a European citizen but he has to use his british passport. Thailand he gets 1 month on the brit passport but only 2 weeks ona Khmer one and so on
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

...Little johnny has a Cambodian passport but we were told by Turkish airlines that he would have to board the flight in Bangkok with a European passport. if he used his Cambodian passport he would have had a he would have to have a Schengen visa in it.

correct
they would not let him board with a british passport that did not have a valid entry stamp for Thailand, even though he was carrying a british passport.
The airlines made a mistake with this, as he did not need a stamp on his British passport to fly with it.

Leaves Cambodia on Cambodian passport, arrives in Bangkok on British or Cambodian passport. Checks into Flight to Turkey on British passport, departs Thailand on which ever passport he arrived on.
My daughter and i traveled often in se aisa and Europe and she used which ever passport was easiest ( in se asia used the visa free Thai passport, in Europe her us passport)
its ONLY at check in that kids might be questioned about flying with one parent, never at immigration.
i was my daughters sole parent since she was 5 , but was never asked where her mom was and we never had any trouble, even flying Thailand to the states alone when she was 14. Thou once flying in the states at 12 ( from Washington DC to meet me in San Francisco) she had to be checked in by an adult ( my sister) with signed permission from me and picked up at arrival by me
For travel to Eu at the moment his mum gets a free visa issued in 3 days because he is a European citizen but he has to use his british passport.
Are u sure she can get a free visa? just cause her son is British has nothing to do with her passport/visa situation, not heard of that. If so,thats cool.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

by pczz

Yes it was an exit visa, not a stamp.
Yay! Glad we finally cleared that up :thumb:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:52 pm
...Little johnny has a Cambodian passport but we were told by Turkish airlines that he would have to board the flight in Bangkok with a European passport. if he used his Cambodian passport he would have had a he would have to have a Schengen visa in it.

correct
they would not let him board with a british passport that did not have a valid entry stamp for Thailand, even though he was carrying a british passport.
The airlines made a mistake with this, as he did not need a stamp on his British passport to fly with it.

Leaves Cambodia on Cambodian passport, arrives in Bangkok on British or Cambodian passport. Checks into Flight to Turkey on British passport, departs Thailand on which ever passport he arrived on.
My daughter and i traveled often in se aisa and Europe and she used which ever passport was easiest ( in se asia used the visa free Thai passport, in Europe her us passport)
its ONLY at check in that kids might be questioned about flying with one parent, never at immigration.
i was my daughters sole parent since she was 5 , but was never asked where her mom was and we never had any trouble, even flying Thailand to the states alone when she was 14. Thou once flying in the states at 12 ( from Washington DC to meet me in San Francisco) she had to be checked in by an adult ( my sister) with signed permission from me and picked up at arrival by me
For travel to Eu at the moment his mum gets a free visa issued in 3 days because he is a European citizen but he has to use his british passport.
Are u sure she can get a free visa? just cause her son is British has nothing to do with her passport/visa situation, not heard of that. If so,thats cool.
yes. we got it done this year for a trip to Greece. Under the original EU rules it only applied to a 'dependant parent' ie the child had to be working and supporting the parent. This changed in 2002 with the chen case. if the child is a minor and the sole guardian is a third party national the child can only exercise its freedom of movemet rights if the parent comes so they have to give her a visa in 3 days for free, Only applies going to an eu country other than the nationality of the child, so would not work for uk. Another case in the ECj this year extends the right to the childs country as well
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 2002CJ0200
http://curia.europa.eu/juris/liste.jsf?num=C-34/09

we are using this now to get mum residence in Greece. Once she has permanent residence she can go anywhere in the Eu. As a result of the chen case Ireland changed its citizenship law. Interesting reading if you like legal mumbo jumbo!
there are numerous other case including Zambrano relating to minor children. We got mum her visa at the greek embasy in BKK. Freench embassy in PP repeatedly breaks the law on Schengen and rejects people illegally but Cambodians do not know they can go to the ECj. Schengen rules state that if your visa is denied at another embassy you can go to the nearest real one. In our case the French Embasy deals with Greece, they refused the visa illegally so we went to the Greek embassy in Bangkok who seem to actually understand the EU law and issued the visa within 24 hours.

been fighting the redtape for a year so if anyone is having issues with eu residency/visas and the Khmer has a child with an EU parent then please feel free to PM me
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This is what an exit visa looks like, you can get them from the Immigration center opposite the airport. This was for my son, he had a Cambodian passport before but this EU one was much cheaper and more useful. I remember bringing a lot of documentation and his mother along to get this which helped, although they didn't require all of it. The person applying needs to have dual citizenship. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. It says gratis on it but there was a $25 fee. It took a day or two to get processed and with only 14 days validity you need to get your flights lined up.

On returning a K-class visa is given gratis, with little fuss, although a valid Cambodian birth-cert (or other documentation for returnees that show they have Cambodian heritage) is required. I noticed that they still use terrible glue on them and this one fell out when I was checking it this evening. It also appears to be going moldy even though the passport has always been kept in a zip-lock bag and all the other pages look clean. :?

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic