Grandma Beats Boy for Skipping School

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Grandma Beats Boy for Skipping School

Post by prahocalypse now »

The 11-year-old boy, Kong Sovanarath, a year 7 student at Sothearos High School, skipped school yesterday afternoon. This made his 60-year-old grandmother angry, and she gave him a sound thrashing.

She was taken to the office of the Child Protection Unit and reeducated.

http://www.arey-news.com/archives/218417
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Grandma Beats Boy for Skipping School

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Jesus, poor kid.

I say give the same to the old witch and see how she likes it.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

One day when he gets older the kid will thank her for it, and the day the kid becomes a lawyer, a policeman or a judge,,, she will regret the kid even went to school.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

she wasn't beating him. them marks look like a typical Khmer massage. probably trying to cure his headache so he could go to school :-)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Looks like coat hanger.

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:17 pm Looks like coat hanger.

The kid may be skinny ,,, but I wouldn't call him a '' coathanger ''.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Duncan wrote:
Username Taken wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:17 pm Looks like coat hanger.

The kid may be skinny ,,, but I wouldn't call him a '' coathanger ''.
I joke about a lot of things and don’t take too many things seriously but, an adult beating a child black and blue is not something to joke about.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Please step into Cambodian shoes for a minute. To western eyes this is atrocious and criminal, but it is normal practice for grandma to use a cane to discipline family. I was caned at school and that was 45 years ago in the uk. It was normal then. My mother had a cane, but it ws rarely used, maybe 2 times in my life. it has taken us 45 years to get to the point where it is illegal but you can still slap your child, so even with our head start we are not perfect. You cannot change cultures overnight, much as you might want to. You have to bring change through education
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

There is a difference between a cane over the buttocks or knuckles once or twice and what this kid was subjected to.

I would say, even 45 years ago, if you beat a child as bad as the picture shows you would not get away with it.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

But for the Khmer culture of deferential respect to elders, he should have grabbed whatever she was whipping him with and thrashed her to fuck with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic