23 Year Old Australian PATRICK JAMES RODGERS Found Dead in Cambodia at Catholic Church on Christmas Day

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 23 Year Old Australian PATRICK JAMES RODGERS Found Dead in Cambodia at Catholic Church on Christmas Day

Post by Beerinthemorning »

cambo swa wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:48 am RIP. What is with the f***ing police always posing in these pictures. As if they have done something here to be recognized for.
one way tickets seem the best travel option in KoW nowadays.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: 23 Year Old Australian PATRICK JAMES RODGERS Found Dead in Cambodia at Catholic Church on Christmas Day

Post by that genius »

rick_o'shea wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:03 am Hey and you snatch your rattling last breaths
With deep-sea diver sounds
And the flowers bloom like
Madness in the spring
He had good taste in music.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

Kammekor wrote:
John Bingham wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:47 am That's very young, 23. Another mysterious death that we'll likely never know the cause of. RIP.
Indeed. Heart attacks are extremely rare with 23 years' old.... Poor fellow. RIP.
I had a friend who died of a heart attack at 25, never drank or did drugs but was overweight. Was devastating for his wife and 3 children. Oddly enough, he was also extremely religious as well.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

cambo swa wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:48 am RIP. What is with the f***ing police always posing in these pictures. As if they have done something here to be recognized for.
its to prove they turned up for work that day.
I wonder if these heart attacks are drug induced or just a cover up for other things. far too many of them for comfort
matthewconnell83
Tourist
Australia

Post by matthewconnell83 »

Folks,

Please, I ask you to be more humane with the thread in this post.

I, like Patrick, am a volunteer at the Education Centre where he'd been revisiting for the past seven years to support the program and make a difference to the lives of disadvantaged children and young adults, through education.

I was the one who received a phone call at 6:20am on Christmas Day morning from a very distraught Catholic Brother, who, while also is in charge of the Centre in the far north western province of Cambodia, had also openly received and welcomed Patrick back, year after year and has been so gracious for Patrick's help in reaching out to students and giving them months of his years to support the Education Program there.

I was also the one to alert the Australian Consulate of his very tragic death, something I never thought I'd have to do.

The details of his death are still unclear but thanks to the Australian Embassy acting swiftly, his shocked and grieving family will hopefully be receiving their boy's body soon so that they can find answers and prepare to lay him to rest in the most loving way they can.

It is a massive tragedy and a really devastating loss of an amazing soul.

There WILL be answers but all I can promise whoever is reading this thread is that the headline of this article is completely false. The rural Cambodian Hospital where Patrick was taken to as he was dying, decided in their great third-world-wisdom to release his body immediately after pronouncing his death, thus leaving a devastated team of Catholic Brothers who cared for Patrick immensely and were still reeling from his sudden death, with no other option than to return him to their Centre where they reverently kept his poor body until it was transported back to Phnom Penh and hopefully soon, to his family in Australia.

Reserve judgment please people until you know the full story.
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Thank you for your clarifications, Matthew.

I never believe I get the whole story from short-time news outlets anymore.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic