China pledges support for Cambodia election after EU, U.S. withdraw

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

China pledges support for Cambodia election after EU, U.S. withdraw

Post by Abc123 »

For some reason I can't get it to copy, so you'll have to click on the link.

China pledges support for Cambodia election after EU, U.S. withdraw.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-cambo ... JO?rpc=401&

SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: China pledges support for Cambodia election after EU, U.S. withdraw

Post by SmartAston Martin »

Is that some kind of joke?

A one party state, assisting CAMBODIA in elections, with its longest running, 26-year leader at the helm?

How do you say, "Just to make sure we don't lose ASEAN ..." in Mandarin?
Last edited by SmartAston Martin on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melvin Udall: Never, never, interrupt me, okay?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Even then, don't come knocking...Not for ANY reason.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dont understand why they are even bothering to hold them, no real opposition party, its already known who will win,
why not save the $$?

Now china has access to the sea via Laos
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Do you mean from S. China by train to river to:

- South China Sea, or
- To train to (SHK) Gulf of Thailand?

Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint.

Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:10 pm dont understand why they are even bothering to hold them, no real opposition party, its already known who will win,
why not save the $$?
Interesting question. There is a recent book exactly about that very question. I can't remember the name of it off hand. I found this while trying, looks interesting.

The predicament of elections in war-torn societies

Abstract

Why do elections held in the shadow of civil wars sometimes generate more violence in already war-torn societies, while in other circumstances they do not? This article develops a conceptual framework based on three clusters of factors to analyse the conflict-generating aspects of elections in war-torn societies: the key actors in the electoral processes; the institutions of elections; and the stakes of the elections. Two types of war-related elections are distinguished: elections held during an ongoing civil war, and elections held in the post-war period when peace is to be implemented. While different in many respects, the two contexts share critical characteristics through their association with the legacy of warfare. Several important implications emerge from the analysis. First, relating to militant and violent actors, incentive structures need to be altered by addressing both the opportunities and means of violence. Second, to prevent inducements for violent behaviour, institutional arrangements – including electoral commissions – have to be crafted with consideration given to local conflict dynamics and the history of violent conflict. Finally, the stakes of elections in war-shattered societies can be reduced through, for instance, constitutional pact-making and the oversight of external actors in electoral processes.

Full article. Pay for view.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... ode=fdem20
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

can you checkmate in dominoes?
gf just back from her hometown SV
says the square and all the usual tourist restaurants are devoid of barang.
also- the little market stalls at psar leu have been largely purchased by chinese and selling lots of imported goods
lots of khmer business formerly relying on khmer and barang trade closed or closing
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Abc123 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:53 pm For some reason I can't get it to copy, so you'll have to click on the link.

China pledges support for Cambodia election after EU, U.S. withdraw.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-cambo ... JO?rpc=401&

It's actually much more readable like that. :thumb:
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

SmartAston Martin wrote:Do you mean from S. China by train to river to:

- South China Sea, or
- To train to (SHK) Gulf of Thailand?
^ This.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

SmartAston Martin
Expatriate
Cambodia

Uh, Yunnan-Laos-Cambodia-Gulf of Thailand (SHK).

Or, Yunnan-Laos-Cambodia-Saigon-South China Sea, if the Yuon aren't acting subversively.

How's the infrastructure in Laos?

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

unusually, i think all posters are of one mind regarding the implications of the infrastructure deals going down now, the timing and strategic ( mil transport infrastructure) elements are very obvious in intent.
barangs better have plan B
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic