No End in Site for Phnom Penh's Flooding Problems

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

No End in Site for Phnom Penh's Flooding Problems

Post by General Mackevili »

Phnom Penh residents should continue to brace for more flooding during this rainy season with no imminent fix in sight, officials said Tuesday.

Flooding impacted much of the city as heavy rains fell Tuesday afternoon, causing traffic jams as motorists flocked to major thoroughfares in order to avoid smaller roads with poor drainage.

City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche blamed residents for adding to the problem by blocking drains with trash or closing off manholes to avoid bad smells.

Phnom Penh Municipality last August launched a campaign to encourage people to discard their waste correctly in an effort to alleviate chronic rainy season flooding.

As part of the campaign, City Hall also pledged to clean the city’s drainage system three times this rainy season to reduce about 70 percent of the flooding caused by blockages.

Mr. Dimanche said no cleaning had taken place as of yet but preparations were underway to start.

Carelessly discarded trash has also meant that the ongoing construction of a $350-million drainage system by the Japan International Cooperation Agency in parts of the city has not eased flooding, either.

Duong Chansarath, chief of the drainage and sewage unit at the Phnom Penh department of public works and transport, said he would like to see even more new drains but added that it would depend on whether City Hall had the budget.

“The drainage system in Phnom Penh was built in French colonial times. Mostly drains are still good to use and others we can fix,” he said.

But on Norodom Boulevard on Tuesday evening, commuters were focused simply on getting home.

Kuch Veasna, 26, a vendor at O’Russei market, said he would...

...click link to continue reading and for pictures...

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/no-en ... ing-64718/

By Sek Odom
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: No End in Site for Phnom Penh's Flooding Problems

Post by vladimir »

No surprises there.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

cover an entire floodplain in cement and what do you get? a swimming pool.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Kuch Veasna, 26, a vendor at O’Russei market, said he would...

...click link to continue reading and for pictures...
Is there a particular reason that every time you copy & paste an article you give up halfway through?

The suspense, oh the suspense.
Scarier than malaria.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

So that it's citation and not just content theft.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Hey some expat should open up a Scottish Pub here in Phnom Penh.
That way if it gets flooded, then we can have a Loch in….
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I wouldn't like that. Somebody might get kilt.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Thats to start....how about where the water goes! ever wonder where you get your veggies from? Well will see another outbreak of pink eye in october cause of this problem. *sigh*

I dont think any of these issues will be fixed for a long long time. I just read about a new aiport they plan on building in Kampong Chhnang. How many tourist does this government think are coming here in the future? All seriousness Cambodia isnt nice and there isnt much to see besides angkor wat...from an outsiderrs POV.

I see a major Bubble growing.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

The Add Jay wrote:Thats to start....how about where the water goes! ever wonder where you get your veggies from? Well will see another outbreak of pink eye in october cause of this problem. *sigh*

I dont think any of these issues will be fixed for a long long time. I just read about a new aiport they plan on building in Kampong Chhnang. How many tourist does this government think are coming here in the future? All seriousness Cambodia isnt nice and there isnt much to see besides angkor wat...from an outsiderrs POV.

I see a major Bubble growing.
Then why are you here? I think most of us here actually really like the place (despite the occasional venting over an annoyance or two) and find it quite nice. I know pretty much anyone who's come over to visit me does, always talking about how bad they want to come back and how they can't stop thinking about it.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

ali baba wrote: Is there a particular reason that every time you copy & paste an article you give up halfway through?

The suspense, oh the suspense.
OrangeDragon wrote:So that it's citation and not just content theft.
Yep.

I actually feel a little bad posting a whole article, even though I provide the link, LoL. I know it's 2014 and everyone's doing it, but I try to at least cut off a little bit to give people a reason to check out the original.

Meh, sometimes it's too good and I can't help but paste the whole thing! Shameful, I know. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic