Cambodians arrested for eating dog

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Re: Cambodians arrested for eating dog

Post by Jack.R. »

Barang chgout wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:37 pm
Jack.R. wrote:
Barang chgout wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:41 am
soup wrote:Thai people in the north regularly truck loads of dogs into Vietnam for their consumption.

The hypocritical cunts would stitch up a cockroach just to make themselves look a little bit better!

I know a lady who is currently volunteering with Soi Dog. She was screaming about this. I called bullshit...... have YOU ever seen dogs being transported to Vietnam?

She defriended me on Facebook. Lol!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Yes I have seen dogs crammed into welded steel cages transported towards Vietnam. For which use I don't know
Where did you see this?

National road 7 near Memot
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

bolueeleh wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:05 am it would be a different story if human beings domesticated cow as pets and dogs for meat 15000 years ago :lol: its all about persepective, dont force your morals on others, has western world learnt its lessons yet?
Most people don't keep cows as pets, end of.

They're too big for most households.

I do agree that IF they did, it would be wrong to kill them...or any animal that was a pet.

Most of the kidnapped dogs were at one stage someone's pet, and dogs are known as man's best friend.

That's what the outrage is about.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

that genius wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:36 am
bolueeleh wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:05 am it would be a different story if human beings domesticated cow as pets and dogs for meat 15000 years ago :lol: its all about persepective, dont force your morals on others, has western world learnt its lessons yet?
Most people don't keep cows as pets, end of.

They're too big for most households.

I do agree that IF they did, it would be wrong to kill them...or any animal that was a pet.

Most of the kidnapped dogs were at one stage someone's pet, and dogs are known as man's best friend.

That's what the outrage is about.
Why is it wrong to kill a species that's being kept as a pet? As long as you don't kill anyone's pet, I don't see the difference from killing other animals for food.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

You don't understand the bond between an animal you've looked after for say 10 years in your home vs. the cow or chicken you never see?

What are you on? Ritalin? (I jest)

:)
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

that genius wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:55 pm You don't understand the bond between an animal you've looked after for say 10 years in your home vs. the cow or chicken you never see?

What are you on? Ritalin? (I jest)

:)
It's really difficult to have a discussion with you, because you don't care to read what I'm writing, and you keep attacking a straw man.

I was talking about a species of animal, not your pet, which might or might not be the same species.
Again, as long as you don't kill anyone's pet, I don't see the difference.

And just because you never see and care for the traditional farm animals, doesn't mean the farmers don't.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

1. Why do farmers raise the animals? Hint: it's not for friendship, it's for produce. Can you honestly contest that? What is the percentage of cows/chickens/whatever, traditionally raised for produce being kept as pets? It's extremely low.

2. You could probably count the number of people in this country who keep cows for pets on the fingers of one hand. And that is probably representative of many countries. Ergo, we can conclude that dogs and cats are favoured as pets way more than cows. You agree?

3. Your whole argument hinges on any animal being a pet. There I agree. However, I think we have proved that cows are not generally kept as pets.

4. Re farmers not caring for animals: I think we can safely conclude that any person who cuts an animal's throat generally doesn't care much for it, or at least cares more for the money. There goes that idea.

My point is: 1. Yes, no animal kept as a pet should be slaughtered and eaten, and I base that on the bond.

2. My second point derives from that: dogs and cats are generally kept more widely as pets.

Therefore, the cow comparison is somewhat ludicrous and irrelevant at best.

Strawman is kind of an appropriate term in a discussion about farm animals and pets, I'll give you that. ;)
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Is it ok to eat goldfish?

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Sometimes pigs are kept as pets! :D

A man noticed a farmer walking with three-legged pig on a leash. It looked very odd. He said, "Farmer, why are you walking a three-legged pig?"

"Why, stranger, this is no ordinary pig," the farmer replied. "One night our barn caught on fire, and before my wife and I even woke up, the pig had called the fire department, and herded all the other animals out of the barn. The next week, a burglar got into the house, and the pig had him tied up and the police were on their way before I even realized what had happened. Then just last week, I fell into the duck pond and was like to drown, except this pig jumped in and pulled me out. Like I say, this is no ordinary pig."

"Well, that truly is a remarkable pig. But tell me, how did he come to have only three legs?" "Are you kidding? A pig this good, you don't eat all at once."
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

that genius wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:49 pm

4. Re farmers not caring for animals: I think we can safely conclude that any person who cuts an animal's throat generally doesn't care much for it, or at least cares more for the money. There goes that idea.

Conclude away. You are wrong. Of course people (farmers) care for all animals that they keep or raise for sale. Farmers work with their animals daily and get to know their quirks and differences .
I have raised dogs for sale (working dogs), abandoned calves or lambs that would have died if left alone in the paddock. I fed them many times a day (or family did) and you get to know them , like pets. When they can fend for themselves they are returned to their mob but sometimes still act as "pets".
They eventually get sold for food.
Yes we killed our own animals for meat but can assure you no pleasure was ever taken at ending a life. It was just a fact of life.
Most people just get meat from the market but never consider where it came from..... Yep it was a living thing.

It was not accepted to eat dog for me but then again it is also not accepted to eat beef in some parts of India.

Any animal or plant of fish that can be consumed safely is a food source and I don't judge people on their dietary choices.

Stealing dogs is wrong and so is stealing a motto. Theft is theft. =@
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

When Cambodians are arrested for eating dogs in Thailand, it's always migrant workers. I suppose they don't have much money, they see all these stray dogs and think no harm done if one ends up in the cooking pot. This is different than kidnapping pet dogs to sell, IMO.

To be clear, I don't support eating stray dogs, or any dogs at all, but I can afford to buy other meat. Maybe they cant ? It might not be a choice.
:stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic