Speaking Khmer

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Speaking Khmer

Post by Kammekor »

Duncan wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:36 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:09 pm
Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:37 pm How many of you can speak Khmer, just a little,, or a lot. I know some of you can pick up a new language in a very short time. Others like myself, learn just a few basic words,
enough to buy stuff at the markets. Do you think I'm lazy or just plain dumb for not learning Khmer after 13 years here .
How would you feel about an immigrant back home speaking 40 (100?) words of English after being there for 13 years? This thought only made me decide to learn the language from day one.

Too often I had (Muslim) parents visiting me on parent's night at the high school I worked, they had been in my country for over twenty years and were unable to have a conversation beyond 'hello' and 'goodbye' with me. I decided I did not want to be like them.
I think that's a totally different situation. Yes, there is an advantage in me learning Khmer,,, but then everyone in the family would expect me to speak it, and it would be of no advantage to them
Think about the advantage it has for you and your 8 year old. If there's none, leave it. If there are advantages, reconsider.

And if you can speak Khmer, you can still speak English at times, can't you? Your skills to teach them English might even improve if you can speak both, but up to you.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I speak about 10 words, as i would prefer my gf learn English, rather than me learn a language only spoken by less than 16 mil.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:06 pm I speak about 10 words, as i would prefer my gf learn English, rather than me learn a language only spoken by less than 16 mil.
If your GF is the only Cambodian you'd ever talk to that's quite valid.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

In our home of 1barang husband, 1Khmer wife and our two teenage kids, English is spoken exclusively. Plus for more than 10 years they have been reading and writing in English. My wife speaks fluent, but not native English and I speak Cambodian the same as she speaks my language. My only regret is that of the five languages I know, Khmer is the only one I'm illiterate in.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

can speak, read and write, far from fluent though but know more than enough to get by,
being able to read and write is a huge advantage (obviously), can learn new words easily but takes practice to put them into your everyday vocab
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

After 18 months I can get by at the markets and that's about it. I don't have a SO to converse with, but if I did I would be easier to learn. If i thought I would stay here longer term I would make an effort, but with the EOS situation getting tighter I feel I'll inevitably have to look elsewhere, so making an effort to learn Khmer seems pretty pointless atm. But, who knows, maybe I'll end up staying longer and wonder why I didn't try. Besides, with a smartphone you can show a picture of what you want, or get a mangled translation from Google Translate if necessary.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Some people pick up a foreign language with their ears and others with their eyes. Really quick learners care gifted with both.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Yea.
Not like you live in a country where the language is spoken or anything.
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:06 pm I speak about 10 words, as i would prefer my gf learn English, rather than me learn a language only spoken by less than 16 mil.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

I came here pretty much fresh out of high school so learning was relatively easy as my brain was still in school mode. I don't think I could learn another language now.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If people put in the effort it is easy to learn. But you need to put in the effort, and it does take time.

It seems many people dont put in the effort, and want to spend most of their time with their English speaking friends anyway.

When you speak Khmer, you can have good Cambodian friends, and spend a lot of time with Cambodian people. You can live in the same country, but in a different world.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic