Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How often do you binge drink, on average? Be honest.

I DON'T DRINK
3%
I DRINK, BUT I DON'T BINGE DRINK
21%
MAYBE A FEW TIMES A YEAR
3%
ONCE A MONTH
14%
ONCE A WEEK
14%
TWICE A WEEK
10%
3-4 TIMES A WEEK
21%
5-6 TIMES A WEEK
3%
DAILY
10%

Total votes: 29
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Are Expats in Cambodia Binge Drinking Enough?

Post by StroppyChops »

flying chicken wrote:Bring mrs stroppy along too; will get the wife to cook real Khmer food.
Not sure we're going to be in town long enough (meeting with some colleagues from Oz) but if we can take you up on that, we'd love to.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

iluvu wrote:I guess I binge 2-4 times a week. I thought binge drinking was at or around the level you throw up. I've only been at that point once so far in Cambodia.
Yeah, when I say I binge drink, I mean about a dozen drinks. When I first moved to Cambodia, 5 drinks did me in. Now I can easily drink 10+ drinks and drive home feeling relatively sober.
StroppyChops wrote:
flying chicken wrote:Cool, first drink is on me.The rest of the drinks is on you :D
No problem, let's have that one drink! I'll PM you closer to the date.
Ha! I behaved myself. Barely.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

General Mackevili wrote:And remember, if you're on Tapatalk, you need to go to "web view" in order to vote in the poll.

Didn't know that. Thanks!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Once or twice a month, and exclusively. I never have a drink or two. Never do the glass of wine with dinner or 3 beers after work thing. I can count on two hand the number of time I've drunk on consecutive nights or during daylight hours. But when I drink, I never drink less than 10.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

Rain Dog wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
And what counts as bingeing? About six “standard drinks” — a beer, a glass of wine or a shot of liquor — in one sitting. Each drink contains about 18 milliliters (0.6 fluid ounces) of pure alcohol.
The WHO calls this “heavy episodic drinking.” (American college kids call it “Thursday.”)
Binge drinking = more than 5 drinks per sitting. I never binge drink because I specifically avoid it. 5 drinks a garage. Then a new seat at Larry's and 5 more drinks. By then Happy hour is almost over so off to my favorite hostess bar for another "sitting" and 5 more drinks. On a good night, maybe two or three more "sittings" --- and I can honestly say I never binge drink :)

:bow: Oh ! how I like your logic
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

flying chicken wrote:Cool, first drink is on me.The rest of the drinks is on you :D

FC do you live in SR ? I really could do with picking your brains, don't worry it will not take long but I really would like to live there and could really do with your advice and guidance m8, thanks
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

LTO wrote:Once or twice a month, and exclusively. I never have a drink or two. Never do the glass of wine with dinner or 3 beers after work thing. I can count on two hand the number of time I've drunk on consecutive nights or during daylight hours. But when I drink, I never drink less than 10.
With my schedule I start drinking when many of you start working... so it cuts down on how often I go out to do so. When I do it's occasionally an 8-14 hour run of barhopping with my wife asking how I spent $250 on drinks. But I only have a hard one like that 1-2 times a month.

My average weekend night out is only 8-10 drinks... which still probably qualifies. during my month of no work however those big nights were significantly more frequent, as i'd get started with buddies and then keep going once they'd tapped out.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

LTO wrote:I never have a drink or two... But when I drink, I never drink less than 10.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

I wish I could find Dos Equis in Cambodia.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

General Mackevili wrote:
iluvu wrote:I guess I binge 2-4 times a week. I thought binge drinking was at or around the level you throw up. I've only been at that point once so far in Cambodia.
Yeah, when I say I binge drink, I mean about a dozen drinks. When I first moved to Cambodia, 5 drinks did me in. Now I can easily drink 10+ drinks and drive home feeling relatively sober.
StroppyChops wrote:
No problem, let's have that one drink! I'll PM you closer to the date.
Ha! I behaved myself. Barely.
I have followed you before with one eye open. I think we hit max speeds of about 15km/h. Don't worry Dagenham, we wore helmets.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic