Telecomms in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cowyippee
Expatriate
Cambodia

Telecomms in Cambodia

Post by cowyippee »

Is Smart still offering the best mobile network speeds and mobile coverage in KOW or is it worth to consider some other provider?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Telecomms in Cambodia

Post by taabarang »

In terms of coverage it'the best I've found where I live rurally. In terms of speed it's OK except during peak user hours when 4G becomes 3G or less.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Think it depends on where you live. In my area in Kep for example Smart is horrible. Can never get 4G and even 3G is rarely more than 20% connection. Metfone offers the best coverage here.
just noise, white noise
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

WR's comment is spot on. So OP do you happen to know where you will be staying in Cambodia?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

whiteribbon wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:23 am Think it depends on where you live. In my area in Kep for example Smart is horrible. Can never get 4G and even 3G is rarely more than 20% connection. Metfone offers the best coverage here.
Yep. Coverage varies. I found smart to be bloody useless and slow and went back to metfone and its great in Phnom Penh. Smart is better in some areas, but metfone coverage is not bad. I think the craze at the moment is cellcard. its supposed to be fastest but I have no idea of coverage
cowyippee
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cowyippee »

Thanks a lot for your kind answers! Planning to move back to KoW and stying mostly in PP but in the beginning will roam around the country too. I know the (mobile data) coverage might be very bad in rural areas and I need to be reached almost all the time because of my job. I think I will buy a new phone with double SIM slots to ensure maximal coverage :D
MrKikilu
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by MrKikilu »

On a twin SIM phone you will get 4g on SIM 1 and 3g on SIM 2 if you are lucky. You will also have to manually switch to which SIM you use for data
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic