Siem Reap visit

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Siem Reap visit

Post by AndyKK »

whiteribbon wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:27 pm
username wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 pm
whiteribbon wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:26 pm
frankan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:17 pm I need to know more,Thailand destroys itself too. Always someone else to blame, us farang, evil bastards aren't we. A curse on them but quick to take the Yankee dollar for a touch of pussy.
I resent this police/military state, I want to be left alone.
I doubt you would feel much better living here though.
I have 10 police officers at my house every 3 to 4 months to check up on me. I don't have a problem with it since they're always very friendly but it happens here too.
Can you tell more about that? What's their excuse for coming? Do they hang around until you give them enough for a few beers?
Still don't know exactly why. I ask them every time, why they come so much since they know my visa is good for another 8/6/4 months or whatever but they told me it's their boss who tells them to check up on me. They always ask me if I still live alone so maybe they're just worried about me lol. They're always friendly but it was a bit intimidating the first time 10 uniformed men showed up here to be honest. And no I never give them any money nor do they ask for it. I always offer them something to drink but that's about it. And they always take a lot of pictures of me and the house as well. And I usually end up with 5 new phone numbers from them since its not always the same cops that come. All a bit strange but I'm used to it now.
They just might like to see how your house is coming together. Not like the normal Khmer build. :)
Always "hope" but never "expect".
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:32 pm
whiteribbon wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:27 pm
username wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 pm
frankan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:17 pm I need to know more,Thailand destroys itself too. Always someone else to blame, us farang, evil bastards aren't we. A curse on them but quick to take the Yankee dollar for a touch of pussy.
I have 10 police officers at my house every 3 to 4 months to check up on me. I don't have a problem with it since they're always very friendly but it happens here too.
Can you tell more about that? What's their excuse for coming? Do they hang around until you give them enough for a few beers?
Still don't know exactly why. I ask them every time, why they come so much since they know my visa is good for another 8/6/4 months or whatever but they told me it's their boss who tells them to check up on me. They always ask me if I still live alone so maybe they're just worried about me lol. They're always friendly but it was a bit intimidating the first time 10 uniformed men showed up here to be honest. And no I never give them any money nor do they ask for it. I always offer them something to drink but that's about it. And they always take a lot of pictures of me and the house as well. And I usually end up with 5 new phone numbers from them since its not always the same cops that come. All a bit strange but I'm used to it now.
They just might like to see how your house is coming together. Not like the normal Khmer build. :)
Nah it was from when I first started living here in Kep, long time ago. Think they don't have much to do here so they fill their days like this.
just noise, white noise
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:07 pm ...but you might die! :D
LOL... at least you'll be happy.
You could be next.
Takmav
Expatriate
Costa Rica

Post by Takmav »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:03 pm
Haven't had a thai police man or immigration official at my door since back in '89 when i was accused of being a drug dealer
Thailand survives, they are great at re inventing themselves and they have learned,
better to bend than break... :beer3:
Maybe they don't come around in Phuket because it's swarming with so many foreigners but they come around often in Chiang Rai and Ubon. Had two in one week once.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there's safety in numbers
:plus1:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic